tequila mockingbird

see what i did there with the title 😉 

------------------

You turned around to face whoever just entered the room with such violence. Oikawa blundered in with floundering steps. His normally pale skin was flushed pink at the cheeks and nose. The usual clean featheriness of his brown hair left in a tousled state. His eyes drooped and he had a bottle in his hand.

He took swig out of it, not even noticing you by the dresser. Oikawa tossed his black dress coat towards the love seat in the corner, but missed, resulting in it being on the floor. You inched towards him in concern.

"Tooru," you asked softly, "are you drunk?"

He kicked the door shut behind him, "Noooo," he sang, giggling as he did. "I was partying with Iwa, Mattsun, and Makki. Woah—"

He lost his balance and fell forward. You caught him as you helped him to the bed.

"Are you an angel? You look a lot like my girlfriend," he slurred.

"Yes, I'm an angel," you said with a chuckle, brushing away his hair falling into his eyes. "Are you seriously drinking more?" you pried the bottled out of his grasp and placed it out of his reach.

"No, silly," he tapped your nose and chirped, "boop."

"Why would you drink so much?"

"Can you rub my head? It's killing me," he groaned while flopping onto his back.

As much as you wanted to scold him for stupidly getting drunk the night before a mission, you couldn't help but gush at his helpless state, finding it cute how he depended on you for once.

"Sure," you told him. Before you followed through with his request, you unbuttoned his white dress shirt.

He giggled as you unbuckled his pants, "Angel lady, I have a girlfriend."

You chuckled, "Don't worry, just trying to make you comfortable," you paused after you helped him out of his shirt, "Tell me about your girlfriend."

"She's very pretty," he said hazily, a small smile on his lips. "She's smart, too, and funny. She yells at me sometimes, but I know it's because she hates how irresistible I am."

A laugh bubbled in your throat, "Yes, that's true. Do you want to tell me why you drank so much tonight?"

He pouted as he stared at his hand on the sheets, "She's mad at me."

"No, she's not," you said quickly. "Why do you think she's mad?"

He closed his eyes as he buried his right cheek into the comforter, "She doesn't love me."

His saddened voice made you want to cry again, but you pushed past those thoughts and continued playing with his hair, "That's not true. She loves you so much. I'll let you in on a secret, she has something very important to tell you tomorrow."

"Really?" he tiredly smiled with his eyes closed.

"Mmm hmm," you responded. "Just wait till the morning. Sweet dreams, Tooru."

You leaned down to kiss his temple and pulled the blanket over him, tucking in him in and making sure he didn't get cold. As quietly as possible, you shut the door to his room and made your way to yours. As you were closing Oikawa's door, though, you didn't so much as sense another presence behind you.

When you faced your commanding officer, your posture straightened up and your teeth chattered a bit.

"Want to tell me why you're coming out of Oikawa's room this late?" Iwaizumi asked.