Watch me die

omg this is the second to last chapter and I'm going to cryyyy ugh!!! Good luck and enjoy! Also DONT FORGET TO VOTE 😙

One year and nine months ago.

The brunette sat before the grave of Daichi Sawamura, the orange of the sky mingled with a rosy shade of pink. He sighed, looking up, "The sky sure looks beautiful today, huh, Daichi?"

A pink petal from a nearby Sakura tree flowed through the breeze, coming to rest atop of Oikawa's forearm.

He chuckled, "It's too bad you can't be here to see it."

That's when the Sakura petal flew through the air again, making Oikawa's features scrunch as it landed on his nose. "Geez, okay, I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that."

The petal found its way back into the wind, swiftly gliding in a brisk dance as it followed the breeze. Oikawa looked at the tombstone reading: Daichi Sawamura. Beloved son, brother, and friend.

"Y/n's at her lecture right now," he picked at the soft grass. "I'm kind of relieved you asked me to take care of her. It gave me another purpose, but I think she's kind of . . . amazing. Um, it's been almost a year since I started looking after her, and it's already hit the one-year mark since you left."

He paused, "Your parents are okay, and your sister is doing alright, too. She was much worse a while back so looking at her now, she's much better."

He opened his mouth to keep going but it sounded like somebody was making their way up the hill. He quickly stood up, moving towards the nearby Sakura tree and sitting down behind it.

He peered around the trunk of the tree, seeing you making your way to the foot of the hill where Daichi lied. You were wearing a white pleated skirt and Daichi's old black zip up, you were coming from class, as Oikawa recalled. You had a bouquet of Daichi's favorite flowers in your arms, Oikawa watched as you set them down in front of his gravestone.

"Hi, Daichi," you smiled blearily. "Just got out of my physics lecture, it was torture. And my lab partner kind of looks like my ex so it's just super unsettling being in that class. Hey, you remember when you beat the shit out of him when I was still in high school?"

You let out a quiet laugh and Oikawa had a soft smile as he listened. You peered up at the sky, the orangey color of it was entwined into swirls of pink. It brought a little smile to your face, "The sky looks beautiful, right? Whenever I see the sunset, I think about you. I try to take photos when it looks especially pretty, like today."

You inhaled a deep breath, looking at the setting sun. The only time you could see the sun directly was when it was setting, or when it's light reflected off of the moon. You could only bear the radiance it had to offer once it was leaving the day, carrying into the night.

It made you think of how you didn't realize how much you needed your brother in your life until he was slipping away and buried under the ground.

That's when a tear unknowingly slipped from your eye, then another . . . and then another. You couldn't even stop it.

"Dammit, I'm such a loser," you cried. "Why couldn't I be the one who died? Everyone loved you, Daichi, you're what I wanted to be. Mom always wanted you and everyone we knew loved you, I was always just there. I was meant to be the quiet Sawamura daughter that was just lucky to have been born."

Oikawa's lip parted as he watched you bury your face in your palms, trying to stop the tears and speak again.

You lived in Daichi's shadow, and you never resented him for it. You always tried to understand how you could be more like him, so people would see you and treat you the way they treated him. But the darkness consumes shadows, so you assumed that the darkness would have gotten to you first. But you were wrong. It kept you prisoner, caged between the soil of the earth and the sky.