July 20th

(Chapter four from ao3 starts at this point)

------

The lack of commuters sanctioned empty train cars one after the other. The lights were out in the vessel since it was late, allowing passengers to sleep soundly.

Then there was you, excitedly dragging Oikawa towards two seats facing each other by the window while other passengers slept in the other cars. Just like before, you were alone with the captain.

"I need you to close your eyes," you instructed Oikawa. Tiredly, he closed his eyes. "No peeking," you snapped.

To that, he covered his eyes with his hands, "Okay, okay."

After a few moments, you whispered, "Now open them."

At your request, he opened them to see a small plate of milk bread on the sliver of the windowsill. His eyes flicked from the slice of his favorite snack with a single lit candle placed on the top to yours. A shadow was casted to the right side of his face while his left was illuminated by the subtle combination of the moon and amber flame.

"Happy birthday, Tooru," you gave a soft smile.

In return he offered no statement, only a few shortened breaths, "I don't know what to say. Thank you." His brows furrowed and his bottom lip jutted out slightly, "How did you even light that?"

"I swiped a lighter from that guy passed out in the last car," you whispered impishly. "He shouldn't be smoking on a train anyways."

He gently beamed as you beckoned towards the candle, "Make your wish and blow it out. It's already midnight"

Oikawa cleared his throat as he swallowed down a gulp. He leaned forward, resting his hands on his knees as he closed his eyes to think. After a brief moment, he blew out the flame. Those brown eyes of his finally opened and he wore his customary shit eating grin.

Breaking off a small piece from the milk bread, you fed it to him and watched him chew with his mouth still trailing up smugly.

"So . . . what was your wish?" you asked slyly with a smirk.

He laughed, "I may seem oblivious when it comes to birthdays, but I know enough that you aren't supposed to tell your wish to anyone else."

You turned your chin up with a pout as you narrowed your eyes, "Fine, I'll give you that much." You dropped your head and said, "What makes you think you're oblivious to birthdays?"

He shifted in his seat, staring out the window with a hint of uneasiness.

Immediately, you sat up straight, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

He glanced at you, "No, no. I think I should tell you. I can't expect you to be alright with me hiding everything about my past. Besides, I trust you and I'm ready."

You offered a sincere smile once again, reaching over to grasp his hand. With a sparse moment in hesitation, he squeezed your hand. Those feelings of doubt from earlier subsided almost completely when he felt the warmth of your fingertips on his skin.

"Growing up, I was close to my mother," he started, staring at your intertwined hands. "She was beautiful, warm with a kind heart. She always looked out for me and my happiness."

"She sounds wonderful, Tooru," you whispered, intently gazing up at his sullen expression.

"She was," he breathed, still looking down. "The last time I celebrated my birthday was the year she died. My thirteenth birthday."

You gasped softly. Losing a parent at such a young age was a circumstance you weren't familiar with, but you could empathize. He must have depended greatly on his mother especially since he was barely even a teenager.