cake tasting // c.b.

prompt: you and colby go to a bakery and pretend to be engaged to try wedding cakes. you have a crush on him, but he doesn't have one on you. or does he...? cuteness ensues.

POV: First person, Y/N, she/her pronouns

trigger warning: PURE FLUFF BB, sickeningly sweet

word count: 1535

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you sure we should do this?" Colby asked, keeping his eyes on the road.

I rolled my eyes at his nervousness. "Of course! I've done this before."

"How often do you do this?" He snorted, turning to look at me for a moment.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "Occasionally. Mostly when I'm really in the mood for cake but don't know which type I want."

"I just feel bad about it. I feel like I'm stealing." Colby bit his lip uncomfortably.

"Well, I usually end up leaving a nice tip and buying some cupcakes, so it at least seems like I was interested." I replied.

"Wait, how are we gonna pass as a couple?" Colby doubted.

"Did you think I came unprepared?" I lifted my hand to show a big 'engagement' ring.

Colby gasped dramatically. "Jesus, you're gonna make them think I'm made of money with that."

I laughed. "Lucky for you it's fake, much like our impending marriage."

"Whatever you say, Mrs. Brock." He snickered.

We pulled into the parking lot next to our destination, Casey's Bakery. I slid out of my seat and followed Colby. When we got to the front door, Colby opened it for me. With a light bell ring, the immediate smell of baked goods hit me as I stepped inside. I crossed my arm through Colby's, walking up to the counter. A white haired, older woman stood behind the counter, her back to us. She spun around, a sweet smile coming to her face.

"Hello! I'm Casey, welcome to my bakery. What can I do for you two today?" She greeted.

I grinned back happily. "Hi! We were wondering if maybe we could try some samples of your cakes? My fiancé and I are planning our wedding, and we thought we might as well try some cake while we're out."

"Oh! Is this the fiancé?" Casey guessed.

I nodded lightly. "Yes."

"That's wonderful, congratulations!" She beamed. "What are your names?"

"I'm Colby, and this is Y/N." Colby chimed in.

"You two look so young. How old are you?" Casey questioned.

"We're both 23." I admitted.

"Oh, you're babies! Okay, is there any type of cake you're thinking about for the wedding?" She inquired.

I pursed my lips. "Um... no, not really. The wedding is still a long ways away."

"When is it?" She asked.

"Ahh, next year... sometime in September. No final date just yet." I stuttered. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Colby nod.

"Oooh, a fall wedding. Might I suggest trying the carrot cake first then? That's usually our most popular for fall weddings." Casey informed.

"That sounds great. We'll try that first." I agreed.

"Goodie. You guys can go take a seat, and I'll be right out with your cake." She mentioned, smiling.