eye for an eye // s.g.

A/N: this is from my 13 days of Halloween on tumblr. this fic is super dark, as you can see from the trigger warnings. feel free to skip this one if it seems too intense <3

prompt: an unthinkable thing happens to sam, and your brother is the reason for it. now, he's seeking his revenge... on you.

POV: Flips back and forth between second person and third, Y/N, she/her pronouns

trigger warning: colby is killed, vengeful!sam, murders, blood mention, gun violence, cursing, slight gore?, legal terms/tech items probably not used 1000% accurately (cut me some slack i only have BA in theater), sam and colby aren't famous but they do live in LA, dark ending, ANGST

word count: 4732

~~~~~~~~~~

Your brother was always the black sheep of the family, the "fuck-up" if you will. On the outside, to everyone else, he seemed like a good kid. But your brother tended to have sticky palms and a short temper, constantly causing fights inside your family. He never got caught, luckily for him. You weren't really close because of your age gap, and neither one of you had anything in common.

But you were family, nonetheless.

The night he came home from a night out was ingrained in your head: his clothes covered in blood, his body shaking, the whites of his eyes bloodshot.

The knife still in his hand...

"I think I killed someone." His voice barely above a pin drop.

He was immediately arrested, charged with second degree murder. But he fought it, claiming self-defense.

The person he killed was some 24-year old named Colby Brock. According to your brother, they met outside of a club in downtown LA. They started talking, and the next thing your brother knew was the guy was swinging at him, trying to knock your brother out. He was scared of Colby and defended himself against his attack. You believed your brother, even though there was this voice in the back of your head that made you think he wasn't telling the truth. But you stuck by him, much like the rest of your family.

Your brother's legal defense team was good. They argued that while your brother illegally had his knife concealed, it was in his right to protect himself from a criminal like Colby: a man who had trespassing and fake ID charges. Though those felonies were dropped down to misdemeanors, it was cemented into some of the jury's minds that to some degree, your brother did the right thing by killing Colby.

But then multiple people in Colby's life were called up to the stand to talk about how wonderful he was, how gentle of a soul he had. His best friend, Sam Golbach, did his best not to cry while on the stand, his eyes remaining cold and distant. The final question he was asked was "What will your life be like without Colby in it?"

His piercing blue eyes landed on you, his voice low and monotone as he glared. "I can't see my life without Colby in it. But I plan to make every day count from now on... until justice is served."

After Sam's testimony, your brother's legal team believed that the jury might be persuaded to find him guilty. Eventually, a deal was given to your brother: plea no contest and reduced charge from second degree to manslaughter in exchange for information he had on some high-profile thieves, and he would only have to go to jail for five years max. Your brother saw his opportunity and took it. Colby's family and friends wanted your brother to be in jail longer, but nothing changed.

After the trial, you were quoted in the media multiple times saying that your brother was a good person who did a bad thing. And now he was paying the price.