mistletoe // c.b.

prompt: you have one christmas wish, but you have no hope it will happen. but maybe this year, things will be different. || reader x colby brock

POV: Second person, Y/N, gender-neutral pronouns

trigger warning: PURE FLUFF, tiniest bit of angst?, pov: you're in love with colby... but like who isn't lol, christmas traditions, loss of the christmas spirit, seriously tho this is just marshmallow fluff highkey, gender-neutral so everyone can enjoy it !!

word count: 1530

~~~~~~~~

It had been a long time since you had been in the Christmas spirit. Christmas had lost its charm to you over the years; maybe because you were no longer a kid, or maybe it was because life became too busy for you to really enjoy Christmas like you once did.

You and your friends - Sam, Colby, and Kat - had all felt the same way. And you all decided that this year, you would make the holidays count.

Starting from Thanksgiving, you all made plans for at least once a week to do something that would put you in the Christmas spirit. One weekend you all spent time decorating the house. Another week you made gingerbread houses. You and Kat even went out Christmas shopping to buy presents for the boys (and yourselves). And slowly, as the weeks grew closer and closer to Christmas, you could feel yourself actually start to feel.... happy.

There was one thing you wanted for Christmas, though. And you knew you were never going to get it.

You hated admitted it, but you had always wanted to be kissed under the mistletoe. You knew it was cheesy and was just a silly tradition, but something about it always seemed so romantic to you. You daydreamed about it, smiling at the thought of it happening, but knew it wasn't going to come true. For one thing, there was no mistletoe in your house. And for another, you didn't really have a significant other to do said kissing with.

But at least you weren't alone in that department. You had Colby.

Colby and you had grown close over the years, for one reason or another. Whether it was because you were always paired up during investigations when it would just be the four of you, or maybe it was because you two were very similar in personality. You guys got along well and enjoyed being around one another. He knew you were someone he could always lean on, and you knew the same back. And maybe that spark, that connection, is what led you to having just the tiniest crush on him.

What can you say? A man who treated you respectfully and was attractive surprisingly caught your eye.

But you tried not to think of that during the holidays, especially as Christmas grew closer. You wanted this time to feel normal, and a crush was just not going to help that. So, you pushed whatever feelings you had to the back of your mind. Every week you all would do something Christmas-y together, and you didn't want to screw it up by getting your feelings involved.

Secretly, you couldn't help but notice things about Colby more and more as time grew closer to the 25th. Every time you saw him, you swore his eyes were somehow bluer than before, even more so in the light. And his smile? Oh lord, his smile was to die for, especially when his dimples would appear. His laugh was really cute; kind of quiet, but somehow you always caught it under everyone else's laugh. He always smelled really nice, a mix of his cologne and body wash would intoxicate you every time he was around. You could feel the heat of his skin radiate off of him when he was close to you, your hands aching to touch him.

Oh God, you were in love with Colby. The unattainable man.

Of course, this realization came to you on the 24th, and the next day - no matter what you were doing - all you could think about was Colby. Your eyes studied him throughout the morning as you guys exchanged gifts and had breakfast. Later, you guys relaxed on the couch and watched a couple holiday movies. All the classics. Colby sat near you, so it wasn't hard for your gaze to fall from the movie to him everyone so often. Your heart sped up as he leaned in close to you during one of the movies, whispering to you something funny. And finally, as night grew closer, some friends came over to celebrate and have dinner. You sat across from Colby, talking to him every so often.