just so you know // c.b.

requested by anonymous: Could you do one where a bunch of bad stuff happens to the reader and the only thing they know to do is call Colby and then maybe they like each other?

POV: Third person, Y/N, they/them pronouns, no gender mentioned

trigger warning: honestly just the fluffiest, maybe a bit of a cliffhanger???

word count: 1203

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Y/N had had bad days before, but somehow it felt like this day was extra worse for no reason at all. In the early hours of the morning, Y/N awoke to a splitting headache, one that made them feel nauseous. After drinking what felt like a gallon of water and taking two pills, the headache only slightly subsided as they got ready for the day.

They tried to forget about the pain in their head while walking into work. They were a server at a small unknown diner in the middle of LA. The day was boring; little-to-no customers coming in. However, the one or two customers they did have to deal with left almost no tips. One did leave their number on a napkin though, which made Y/N instantly roll their eyes as they cleaned up the table with it.

While on break, Y/N's boss told Y/N that they were moving really slow today and that they needed to be quicker, to not keep the customer's waiting. When Y/N tried to explain why they weren't as fast as they usually were, their boss waved them off and told them to get back to work.

After a full eight hours, Y/N was praying to go home. Getting into their car, they decided to listen to some music to past the time and try to lighten up their mood. Y/N was starting to feel okay, a slight smile resting on their face as they sang along to the music.

But that smile was short lived.

The moment they pulled into their apartment's parking complex, they could feel themselves get lower in the car. Confused, they pulled into their parking space quickly and got out.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Y/N groaned, looking at their new flat tire.

Y/N sighed, rubbing a hand over their face. They decided today just wasn't their day and they didn't really feel the need to replace the tire right now. They didn't need to go anywhere but up to their place and to sleep this day off.

As they entered their apartment, they went over to their kitchen to grab a snack. They opened their fridge to find it barren. Reality smacked them in the face when they realized they were supposed to go shopping today after work, all of which they forgot about.

"What the fuck?!" Y/N yelled, clenching their fist and shutting the fridge door angrily.

They went into their room mumbling curse words to themselves as they took off their uniform. Changing into some comfy clothes, they sat on their bed. They took a deep breath, trying to hold back tears. The amount of random shit and stress that had happened today made them feel so low and extremely overwhelmed. They were just so tired, aggravated, and now sad. They grabbed their phone and opened their messages. They needed to vent to someone. They needed someone to be with them.

Y/N: are you busy rn

They waited a moment, praying that their best friend wasn't busy. Knowing him, he most likely was. They bit their lip in anticipation.

Colby: nope. what's up ??

They exhaled, a light smile coming to their face. They typed out a short message, one that only they both knew.

Y/N: SOS

Seconds later, Colby responded.

Colby: be there soon

Colby and Y/N had an interesting relationship, to say the least. Most people that didn't know them would have thought they were dating. They flirted and touched each other often, always in each other's embrace while around company. But, Y/N and Colby weren't together. They were just friends.

Like really close, good friends.

'SOS' was a message they created after a rough night Colby had. He was in a dark place and just needed someone to go to. So, Y/N helped him through it, which is why they were as close as they were. When either one texted each other this, they would drop everything, grab their favorite food and drinks, and come over to each other's apartments. They would talk, watch movies, goof off, and fall asleep together.

Y/N's food of choice was a stuffed-crust pizza, diet soda, and vanilla ice cream. Colby's was Taco Bell, McDonalds fries, and chocolate.

Y/N sat in their room for a while, staring up at the ceiling. They tried to relax as they waited for Colby. Finally, they heard three knocks come from their front door. They jumped up and scurried to the door, opening it quickly.

Standing there was Colby with a box of pizza and a grocery bag of ice cream and soda.

"What happened today?" Colby asked, smiling softly.

/ ~ /

After six hours of conversations, pizza, and a movie that was haphazardly watched, Colby and Y/N were starting to get sleepy. Y/N was already cuddling into Colby's chest, their eyes slightly glazed over. They listened to Colby talk, his chest rumbling against their ear. They smiled lightly as he told them about a party he and Brennen had recently attended.

"Brennen made such a fool of himself in front of this girl. It was so fucking funny." He chuckled softly.

"I would pay to see that." Y/N whispered, causing Colby to snort.

A moment passed and their conversation came to an end. The room was mostly quiet, the only noise was the soft voices from the tv and their breaths. Y/N's eyes drifted close as they snuggled into Colby more. He gazed down at their, a smile came to his lips. After a hard day, Y/N was finally peaceful. Colby remembered the upset look on their face as they told him about their day. He listened to every word they had said, letting Y/N vent about everything. He actually really liked days like this. He loved hearing about their day, regardless of how good or bad it was.

He also loved days like this because he got to be close to them.

Colby had told Y/N everything about him. Except one thing: his feelings for them. He was in love with them but could never say it. One time he told them 'I love you' on accident, but he brushed it off as a friendly sentence, and that's what Y/N took it as. His feelings for them had grown over the three years they knew each other, and it came to a head the night they made the 'SOS' message.

Y/N was there for him when he felt like no one else was. He couldn't stop his heart from falling for them in that moment. Since then, it's been constant butterflies, sweaty palms, and nervous laughs every time he was around them. When Y/N was close to him, he had to calm himself down as much as he could. Their proximity to him alone caused his heart to race.

Colby exhaled. He bit his lip lightly as he raised a hand and gently ran his fingers through their hair, pushing a strand out of Y/N's face.

"I love you." His voice came out like breath.

Y/N's heart leaped in their chest. They tried to calm their nerves before Colby could realize they hadn't fallen asleep yet.

Y/N had told Colby everything about them. Except one thing: their feelings for him.