Chapter 4: ADVICE

Laila stares at Stephan when he says this. She knew that is why he was frowning. The problem is how he seems to know when she cries. Neither Arthur nor Sandra could tell, but just looking at her face, he can tell not just that she cried, but how many times she did!

The day she first met him, she was thrown out on the street as punishment. Her uncle's wife had locked the door to prevent her from coming back in. It was cold and her hands that she kept running up and down her arms became ineffective. King Stephan just happened to pass by through the woods, where Laila had gone to take shelter. Coming down from his horse, his two men halting on theirs, alighted and continued following him, he found her by a tree, her back facing him, desperately trying to make a fire with some sticks.

The snapping of twigs got her attention, causing her to turn around and jump in fright. Upon seeing him, she knew immediately, he was the king. Laila fell to her knees bowing her head. "Y-y-your... H-h-highness," she stammered due to the cold. Stephan ignored her greeting and came closer, lifting her chin, studying her face. His reply to her greeting and the first thing he ever said to her was, "You cried."

"Laila," the king calls, snapping her out of her thoughts. She blinks at him before shaking her head, "It's nothing, My Lord."

Even if she wants to tell him, she can't. How can she bring up the fact that he was the reason she cried? Complaining about the king to the king? Never! She is even lucky she literally went from grass to grace just by his word.

"Laila-"

"Your presence makes everything better, such trivial things, like my tears should not matter. How was your morning?"

Stephan studies her for a bit, before sighing and looking away, "It was okay except I still couldn't get that woman out of my head."

Laila swallows hard, nodding at his words. Again, it's about her. Of course, the reason he would come to her chambers is because of another woman. Then and there, Laila realizes something; she doesn't like Saya.

"But it's nothing. It's always hard to get beautiful women out of my head when I first come across them. By the end of the day, I'll be alright."

She nods again, giving him a tight smile. "Anything else on your mind?" she asks as she gently runs her hand through his hair, massaging him.

"The spy my Man of War sent to The Resistance camp is doing well."

"Shouldn't that be a good thing?"

"Yes, but my Man of Coin said it would be best for him to kill the leader and put an end to this madness."

"It's risky," Laila says, piecing everything together.

"Yes. Of course, the general was against it. I am against it too. He has a family that is waiting for his safe arrival, and should anything happen to him, I can't help but blame myself."

"Have you tried talking to his family?"

Stephan looks back at her, and she stops massaging his scalp, raising her eyebrows.

"Do you think it will help?"

Continuing her massage, she replies, "Considering it is their family member, I believe it will mean a lot to them if you show that you actually care about him. Ask how they're doing, how they feel about the whole situation. Maybe offer to help cover the expenses of their household. Afterall, their son, brother, husband, and father is sacrificing himself for the kingdom."

"He's not married, and has no children."

"Very well, son and brother it is," she says chuckling. Her contagious smile, causes him to chuckle as well. Taking a deep breath, Laila maintains eye contact when she says,