Chapter 18: GOLDSMITH

It's the early hours of the morning, the perfect time to head out of the castle with Sandra in order to avoid anyone and everyone in the castle.

Laila wears a dark blue dress, marred with a few patches and uncleanable stains. "Are you ready?" The young woman asks her friend, who nods, scanning her dress.

"My Lady, I thought you threw that dress away"

She shakes her head, "I need to be reminded where I am from."

"My Lady-"

"Let's go." Sandra watches as she opens the door, heading out. She had told her to throw away that dress, she was no longer the hopeless girl tormented and practically a slave in her uncle's house. Sure she's not a noblewoman by birth but the king made sure her status was elevated.

Sandra lets out a soft sigh, before going after her.

"We can simply leave the castle gates right?" Laila asks as they walk towards the gate.

"If they believe that the king doesn't care about you, then yes."

"They will. Lady Quinn made sure to let me know that I had been the talk of the guards."

Laila feels a bit sad that Arthur didn't tell her that her name had been circulating. Did he feel bad for her? Is it pity?

Stopping at the gate they see the guard on duty, sleeping soundly.

"Seems like everything is working in your favor."

She smiles, opening the small-sized gate that is attached to a metal bar, which holds the other end of the big gate.

Setting foot outside the castle walls feels liberating. Walking on the streets without worrying about getting back in time, or getting in trouble feels self-renewing.

Feelings like these, give Laila some sense of consolation if she were to actually forget about being a woman of the king.

"It will take a while to get to the goldsmith since it's in the village."

"That's why we left early, there are barely any sheds open," Laila replies.

When planning to make the gold wristband, she calculated how long it might take her to get there, make the gold band, let it congeal, and then come back. Getting up when the day hasn't broken was definitely the best option.

"Don't you think we can ask for a ride when people start opening sheds?"

"We should."

***

"Where is Lady Laila?" Garnet asks one of the maids, but she shrugs her shoulders, "Her maid, Sandra is also nowhere to be found. They probably went somewhere."

The Lady nods, walking out of the maids' quarters. She was planning to make some snacks with her and Amice, so that she could feel better, and forget about the asshole king.

"I guess I'll just have to wait."

***

The sun rises and people begin to fill the streets of Sheath, as Laila and Sandra continue on their journey. The woman can't help but smile as children begin to run errands for their parents, some get caught up playing with their friends, others going straight to their destination. Sheds begin to open, the smell of delicious meals from eateries, and the sound of people calling out to invite customers feels Laila up with so much joy.

"My Lady," Sandra calls, making her turn to her friend. She points at the carriages that have begun to move around.

"Let's flag one down."