Chapter 5: STRAWBERRIES

"So which part of the castle grounds is most suitable?" Laila asks, she and Sandra both carrying buckets that contain everything they need to plant. Laila had worn a much lighter yellow, short sleeves dress, the rubber boots on her feet fit for what she's planned to do.

"I'm not sure, My Lady, probably a place that gets enough sunlight," Sandra replies, walking in a similar pair of rubber boots.

The two women pass through the flower garden that faces the back of the kitchen, heading past the well.

"Why not close to the training grounds?" Laila stops, suggesting to her friends.

"The training grounds? Why- Oh!" Sandra nods in understanding. The small land close to the training grounds is a perfect place! The sunlight touches that part perfectly, and there is a well by the training grounds where they can get water. Of course, they have to climb down the sand steps to get there but it is worth it!

Laila and Sandra make their way through the garden, turning a sharp right that reveals two fleets of stony stairs. Climbing down one, they turn right again, walking along the stone floor. After about a minute or two, a leveled grassland comes into view, and looking down from there, is a mixture of sand and grass, which is the perfect land for the training ground built on it.

Two large tents face the prospective garden, and one can clearly see the soldiers training, even to the extent of deciphering who is who, if you look close enough.

"Is there a reason why I shouldn't have cut this gown to make it shorter?" Laila says finding the perfect spot to begin.

"Well, I don't think it is proper for a lady to wear short gowns unless it is for bed."

Laila rolls her eyes, kneeling on the grass, and taking out a garden trowel.

"If you could show me the ropes, we can get started," she tells her friend who nods, kneeling by her side.

Carefully, Sandra explains and demonstrates to Laila everything she needs to know. From weeding to making ridges, and even sowing seeds. By the time Sandra has started on hers, Laila is making progress.

"You're a quick learner, My Lady," Sandra observes.

"Thank you."

"Laila?" a deep voice calls. Both women turn their heads only to see a man standing on the sand stairs, looking at them.

"Arthur," Laila calls back, standing from the ground and walking to him.

Arthur moves his head to observe what they were doing to the soil. Sandra bows, getting back to work.

"We're planting strawberries," Laila says, watching him lean back to his upright position.

"Don't the farmers supply the castle with fruits every day?"

"It's for peace of mind and relaxation. Plus for once I feel useful," she replies with a smile.

"Are you doing okay?" he asks, raising his hand to caress her cheek but she turns her head to avoid it.

"Arthur, you can't do that in the open. People will get the wrong idea."

"What is this wrong idea you speak of? My love for you is not an idea, neither is it wrong."

"Arthur, stop it."

The man takes a deep breath, his eyes not leaving hers. "You should get back to your training camp."

"I'm actually done for the day."

"Then you can head back to your quarters."

"Let me fetch water from the well for you. Your buckets are empty."