Chapter 34: Tête-à-tête

I HAD TO DO A DOUBLE UPDATE BECAUSE I COULDN'T WAIT TO SHOW YOU GUYS THE NEW COVER Sachi_Stark MADE! THANK YOU SO MUCH, IT'S PERFECT! ♥

"I heard Princess Saya and King Xerxes will be getting married soon," Sandra says, helping Laila out with cleaning up behind the workers.

"Really? I'm happy for her."

It has been a little over two weeks since Laila had moved out of the castle, and her pregnancy was still not noticeable until you paid attention, placed your hand on her belly, or hugged her. The fact that she was wearing baggy clothing made it impossible for any passerby to tell. She was doing fine, not perfectly fine, but enough to get her through each day. Her pregnancy made her crave the fresh fruits that the castle received every day. In the part of the kingdom she dwelled, you had to spend a lot to get such fruits. She did not tell Mr. Godfrey about this, as he had done so much for her, the best she could do was eat what was given to her, and if her stomach repulsed it, she'd go hungry. It was definitely not the end for her, because the life growing inside gave her the strength to move on.

"The commander has been begging me to tell him of your whereabouts, he's very worried."

"And you have told him I said he should not worry, that I am fine?"

"Everyday My Lady... every day."

Laila nods, Arthur's persistence is attractive, but sadly after what she's gone through, a man is not what she wants right now. She's still trying to figure out how she will bring her baby into the world and raise him or her alone; it terrifies her.

"So...you're not going to the marriage ceremony?" Sandra asks.

"..."

***

Laila walks into Saya's chambers, her eyes meeting the young mother who is humming to her newborn.

Looking up, she smiles, "Laila! Come see," she urges. The woman tries her best to smile as she approaches the princess, sitting on her bed, and looking at the baby who is sleeping, he is perfect.

"He just finished nursing, and fell asleep," Saya says, looking up at her friend.

"He's an angel," Laila says in all honesty.

"Thank you," she smiles brightly, looking back at her son.

Laila clears her throat getting the princess' attention.

"Laila, is there something bothering you?"
"Princess I just wanted to apologize for not being there for you when-"

"No please," she shakes her head, cutting her off.

"Why would you feel guilty about something that was beyond your control?"

This time, Laila shakes her head, "I come to see you every night before I retire, but I got carried away with-"
"Laila," the princess says, gently placing her free hand on hers

She looks up at the young woman, who nods, "It's okay. You cannot beat yourself up over something like this. I know you would've been there for me if you had known what was going on. If it makes you feel any better, I forgive you, though there's honestly nothing to forgive"

***

The scene replays in Laila's head. How could the princess be so pure? It was too much for her to handle. The least she could do to show how much she cares is to attend the ceremony. She's doing it for Saya.