Chapter 37: SISTERS

Anyone passing by would immediately tell that the two little girls rolling around in the grass are sisters, twins if they didn't ask! But no one would pass by, no one ever passed by except if they were desperate; if their life depended on it. Both girls lived on a hill with their mother, only going down and passing the rocky path when they needed to bathe in the stream, or fetch water.

"Oma stop!" Laila screamed in tears from laughing as her sister continued to tickle her.

"The magic words?" the girl on top of her asked.

"I love you!"

Laughing, the girl stopped tickling her sister, collapsing beside her. The two girls had a childish argument but Laila didn't want to forgive her sister, thus began the tickle war.

"I'm sorry."

Laila nods, sitting up. The nine-year-old picked at the flowers, surrounding them, placing, and tying them together skillfully.

Oma sits up, watching her, "What are you making?"

"A flower crown," she replied with a smile.

Gathering her own flowers, Oma copied Laila slowly, to make hers.

"...Don't you hate getting older?" Laila asked, breaking the comfortable silence.

Oma tightens her lip, nodding, "I know how much time I have left."

"Mother said she was sixteen when she began the work of the gods."

"I know Laila, don't remind me!" Oma huffed in annoyance.

"...Sorry."

"...Sorry, I just don't like thinking about it," Oma said, feeling dejected.

"You don't need to feel sad, she gave us two extra years! I will also join you and we can do it together!" Laila smiled, contaminating Oma's frown.

"But still, can you imagine never visiting the stream to bathe?"

"Or never using a chewing stick again?"

Both girls shiver at the thought of it. They were used to the smell of their mother who refused any form of hygiene because it weakened her powers, however, the people that visited them once in a while never failed to show the look of disgust on their faces whenever they left or sat in the hut.

"Promise to be dirty together!" Oma squealed, making her sister laugh.

"Promise!"

***

"Oma stop!" Sixteen-year-old Laila yelled, grabbing her sister's arm but Oma smacked it away.

She turned to her sister, "Laila I have told you that I won't do it! I can't do it!"

"Why? We promised to do it together."

"Then you do it, Laila! I don't want to stay inside a hut, stinking, cooking up magic, and speaking prophecies till I die! I can't live like that!"

"...But what about mom?"

"She's a witch Laila! She doesn't care about you or me! All she needs is someone to take over from her when she dies, and that won't be me!"

Laila feels tears prick her eyes, her sister wants to leave her.

"Look Laila," Oma says, placing her hands on her shoulders.

"There is a reason why that witch did not want us passing the stream"

Laila furrows her eyebrows, watching her sister before she gasps.