Chapter 35: MARRIAGE, CORONATION

The look on his face does not faze her. She is here on her own accord, not because it is a duty. She could have stayed back at home if she wanted to, but she needs to be here for her friend.

Stephan looks at Laila, as she steps into the castle bowing to him, then to his brother, giving him her full attention.

"My Lord, please permit to congratulate the princess and I will be on my way."

Xerxes looks at her, before saying, "Present the rings."

Before she has time to react, he turns around and leaves.

Stephan's eyes travel to her belly and he can see the little bump despite the type of clothing she wore to hide it.

Turning around she heads to the kitchen in search of anyone that would possibly know where she is to get the rings from. The last thing she wants is to ask Stephan.

"Peter!" She calls the man who was on his way out.

The man turns, shocked to see her. "Lady Laila, how have you been?" he asks with a smile, walking towards her.

"I have been great, and you?"
"Never better."

"Do you know where the rings for the celebration are supposed to be? King Xerxes asked me to present them."

"Of course, follow me. Just in case you don't know, this is a surprise to the princess, so you will not get to see her before the celebrations."

Nodding, she follows him.

Stephan stands there, watching them disappear down the hall. He heard everything...she was great without him...no, she was not. He would never believe that.

During the celebration, Laila's weight shifts from one leg to the other as she waits for her cue. It had been drilled into her head the words that would prompt her to give the rings to Stephan who was officiating.

"...gods had not destined it,"

That is what she hears, and immediately she walks up with a golden pillow that two rings are sitting on. Once he takes them, she makes her way back to where she was standing. Her heart calms down as the worst part is over. She could not help but think about the stares she got from people as she stood waiting on her cue, and even when she went up to hand them the rings. Maybe no one was even looking at her and she was just imagining things.

"Long Live King Xerxes of Moore!

Long Live Queen Saya Moore and Princess of Laine!" the people yell, snapping Laila out of her thoughts. All she needs to do is show her face to the princess after this and leave.

***

"Why not leave tomorrow?" the princess asks with a sad look on her face.

Xerxes, Stephan, Laila, Saya and her baby were at the celebrations that followed the coronation. King Xerxes had decreed in Moore that everyone had the right to be literate which touched her heart.

The princess was not in the best of moods, but covered it up well as she talked with Laila throughout the events. It was getting late, and they were heading inside, though the celebrations were still alive and going.

Laila did not want to stay a night in Moore. She did not think she could do it, but what reason could she possibly give her, when she thought her and King Stephan were still engaged.

"You and Xerxes should have a while to yourselves, while we take care of your baby," Stephan suggests with a smile. Laila feels her blood boil upon hearing his words. He has no right to suggest what she should do, when they were not on good terms.