Chapter 40: VISIT

As soon as Laila clocked five months, her belly began growing rapidly, and things became more tedious for her. This is why Mr. Godfrey only let her stay at home, where she could do the smaller tasks, like sweeping and arranging items that are out of place.

One would think Mr. Godfrey makes a lot of money from the gold he sells, but people in the village cannot afford the better things, and the rich people hardly come to that side of the kingdom. He also has to pay taxes, and he owes people money since he had to borrow to start his own business. Laila was shocked when he had bought her three new dresses. She was grateful that he opened his home to her, but buying her clothes only made her feel useless. That is why she never mentioned any of her cravings to him, especially fresh fruits since they were expensive. She never even ate the ones Sandra brought for her because she was sure it will make her bring them often, which is not fair for her to be using her money on her.

It seemed like pregnant Laila was just a burden, but she made it clear that once her babies were born she would work hard to repay them for their help. Yes, she addressed them as twins, but with others, she just said one. Since the incident with Oma, and when she felt the first kick, she knew she was having twins.

Sitting outside, the woman fanned herself with the woven material she found in the house. Laila had just finished cleaning and was eating dry fruits and nuts with water when she heard the neighing of a horse. Looking up, she was shocked to see Stephan tying his horse to a tree a few meters away from her.

As quickly as she could, she got up and ran inside the house, closing the door, and locking it immediately, her heart thumping inside her chest. Hearing his knock she backed away from the door.

Why was he here, and today of all days? She was still unsure if her sister's 'visit' was actually a dream or not. What if it wasn't and he knows she's the witch's daughter? She does not want him to banish her! She's already adjusted to her life here, despite how difficult it has been.

"Laila, I know you're in there," his voice calls, making her angry and sad at the same time. This is the first time this man has come to see her since she left him at Moore. For a man that is sorry for what he did, he has a terrible way of showing it.

Stephan stands by the other side of the door, running his hand through his black hair that has gotten longer.

"Laila, please come out," he says, knocking again, but the woman maintains her silence, staring at the door, her heart pounding.

"I'll break the door"

"Don't you dare!" she exclaims, worried he might go through with it. A light smile perches on his lips when he hears her voice.

"Sweet Pea, come out."

"..."

"One...Two..."

Laila rolls her eyes in annoyance, this man is really giving her to the count of ten to open the door? The woman takes a deep breath, deciding to do as he asked, the last thing she wants is for Mr Godfrey's door to be broken down because of her.

"Nine..."

Stephan stops counting when he hears the lock, the door slowly opening. He tries not to mask his shock when his eyes land on her protruding belly. Her eyes meet his that are still on her belly, as she leans against the door.

"...You've never seen a pregnant woman before?" she asks, her voice holding so much sarcasm.

Looking back up at her, Stephan feels his heart skip a beat, she's gotten more beautiful too.

"Laila-"

"My Lord, may I ask why you have come to see Mr. Godfrey? He is not in right now, but I will be sure to let him know the king stopped by," she says, before turning around, but Stephan grabs her arm, making her face him.