Chapter 19: NO MORE

It was very late in the evening, when Laila and Sandra returned, tired from their journey, but something felt wrong. As they neared the castle gates, it felt unusual seeing so many guards, with lit torches, a few running out of the gates. Both women looked at each other in confusion before walking up to the gate where one of the guard's eyes widened upon seeing her. The woman seemed confused when he yelled, "Call off the search! She's back!"

"Search? What search?" she asked Sandra who looked just as clueless as she was.

One of the lieutenants jogged to her, "My Lady, the king has asked you to see him immediately."

The woman nods, urging Sanda to head back to her quarters that she will be fine. Had the king searched for her? Why? For whatever reason, the thought of him doing that made her heart swell. He would definitely love his present.

Following the soldier, Laila couldn't help but notice how the maids' whispers were directed at her. Once she got to the throne room and saw the other nine women standing there, and the king sitting down glaring at her, she knew she had messed up.

"Look at her dress," Quinn says in distaste. Laila looks down, following their eyes. Despite her dress being dark blue, the black stains from working close by while workers shaped gold were very noticeable. The young woman suddenly becomes ashamed of her appearance. There are probably stains on her face as well.

"Laila," Stephan calls, his tone menacing, filled with annoyance.

"My Lord," she answers, not looking up at him.

"Did you want to pull a stunt like Georgi did so badly just to get attention?"

Georgi looked at the king, before looking at Laila. He called what she did that day a stunt? That hurt her.

Laila shakes her head, "No My Lord I-"

"THEN WHY DID YOU LEAVE THE CASTLE WALLS!" he yells making everyone in the room flinch.

"My Lord I-"

"SILENCE! You know full well that you are supposed to seek permission to leave the castle walls."

"You've indirectly said you don't want to be the king's woman-"

"Shut up," he says to May, who swallows her last words, Garnet glares at the useless woman who wanted to make the situation worse.

"But you had told me you don't care what I do or where I go, and that I no longer needed your permission," she tries to reason, making him let out a humorless laugh.

"So where did you go?"

"I went to a goldsmith"

"Do not lie to me, that place was searched."

"No, the one in the village."

"Why?"

The girl keeps mute. How would the women react if she said she went to make jewelry for him? She wanted to give it to him in private.

Stephan stands up from his throne and walks to her, his anger still radiating.

"Why did you go to the goldsmith?'

Laila dips her hand into her pocket and brings out the small case, showing him.

"I went to make jewelry for you."

Stephan hears Georgi scoff loudly behind him. He looks at Laila, who maintains eye contact with him. It is clear she's hoping he would believe her. The king takes it from her, making her bow her head, letting out a sigh of relief. But she's confused when he chuckles humorlessly again,