Chapter 17: GIVING UP

King Stephan slams the door to his chambers, rustling his hair in annoyance. It was not her fault, and he knows that. The look on her face downstairs is certainly something that won't clear from his mind. Taking his anger out on her was unnecessary and wrong. He has to admit that the celebrations were impressive, but he canceled the rest.

Should he apologize and tell her to not cancel? No, she knows better than to be with another man, the commander out of all! That was what began to spoil his day, and then Oma's childish attention strategy.

Laila cannot comfortably laugh with his men, and even blush at their comments but turn around to be upset when he talks about "finding the one." 

He saw how she dropped her spoon, upon hearing his words, though he pretended not to notice. Why claim to love him and then hang around the commander? Maids literally struggle to be the one to bring his meal when they're done training. He's sure that Arthur has eyes for Laila, but he will not let him have his way. Not because he has any interest in her, but because he never loses to anyone. He does not need to apologize to her, she'll certainly come around.

"What are you doing here?" Laila asks the man who had walked inside her chambers without permission.

"Last time I came in your eyes were puffy and red, I come in today, your eyes are puffy and red," the man says, studying her.

"Stop coming and you won't see it."

"Laila...I heard what he said to you." Her eyes look anywhere but at him.

"He does not appreciate you-"
"Arthur," she cautions.

"What Beautiful? You don't want to hear the truth?"
"You need to leave."

"Months of planning just flushed away like that."

"Arthur!" Laila exclaims having enough. Tears flow down her eyes again...she's tired of this. A man that doesn't love her always takes fault in what she does and a man that claims to love her, hammering to forget about her love...it's exhausting.

Arthur lets out a sigh, embracing her as she cries on him. Why does she still cling to a man that has made it clear, he won't reciprocate her feelings?

When she calms down, he says, "The celebration today was amazing."

Laila smiles into his tunic, "Thank you."

"You also look breathtaking in this dress."

"You already told me that this morning."
"I know...just needed to remind you, in case you forgot."

She chuckles, breaking away from his hug, wiping her tears.

"In all honesty princess, you put in your all just to -"

"Can we...not talk about this? Please"

He lets out a soft sigh before nodding. "Of course Beautiful."
"You need to stop calling me that."

"I will not stop till the day you believe it."

Laila smiles. Truth be told, she did feel beautiful when she dressed up today, but King Stephan snubbing and scolding her certainly said otherwise.

"Thank you, Arthur, truthfully, for cheering me up."

"Anytime Beautiful," he smiles before turning around, heading for the door. "Now that I have seen your smile, I can leave."

He opens the door, turning to her, "He's not worth it darling."

Laila tightens her smile, nodding before closing the door. That is why she is going to give up on him, even though she does not love Arthur, she can try.