Chapter 56: CONNECTION

"LET ME OUT!" Laila screams banging on the door, tears in her eyes, sweat all over her skin. It has been over a week since she was trapped inside the room after Thomas revealed his motive. She can't believe he had the nerve to ask her to cooperate in his plan!

***

"Laila, I know it sounds evil-"

"It is evil you blood-sucking monster," she replied, glaring at him. Her belly was so large, and she was so fatigued. Her babies' due date was fast approaching, and the longer she stayed there, the scarier it got.

Thomas shakes his head, "It should not hurt you or your babies."

"Liar. You have never done this before, so what source proves your claim?"

"...I have been working with magic-"

"I don't care! For the sake of the gods, you kidnap people and sell them into slavery! Why do you need powers for that?"

"Have you ever heard any complaints to the king about missing people?"
Laila furrows her eyebrows, looking at him.

"The memories of the missing need to be missing, and the memories of their families need to be missing. We also need an escape route. Magic is the way."

"You're ruining people's lives!"

"My life was ruined! The lives of my brothers were ruined!"

"Then you should have taken your revenge out on the witch who abandoned you!"

"I saw her after she died, and just like how I used Oma's body, I used hers to gather every information I know. She's served her purpose."

"Why sell innocent people? They have nothing to do with this!"

"You said it yourself that I should make a living by selling things just like other people do."

"Human beings are not things Thomas! They are people who have families!"

"This has been my life for years, and that useless king just had to bring the princess of Laine as his woman. None of this would have happened if not for Saya, so blame her."

"You wretched fool! By the time my husband finds me, you'll be sorry."

Thomas throws his head back in laughter. "Do you even know where we are?"

"..."

"Once you're in labor, and your babies arrive, I will take back what was ours. King Stephan and King Xerxes will be no match for me. My brothers and I will take over. Laila, the future is bright for us."

"There is no future for me if you kill my children!"

"They're children of a monster! Why does it matter?"

"So you just admitted they will die," Laila says, feeling her heart pound rapidly against her chest.

"You can always get pregnant again."

"When my husband is dead?"

"I can fill in that position," he smiles, walking to her. Laila feels like throwing up, upon hearing his words.

Standing face-to-face with her, he runs the back of his hand against her cheek, but she turns her face. Grabbing her jaw, he forces her to look at him.

"You are an attractive woman Laila, a beauty. I would gladly give you children to your heart's content."

"You're a mad man."

Chuckling, he pushes the brown locks away from her face. "I was always mad when I saw the way that bastard Stephan treated you. He doesn't deserve you."