Chapter 20: DIAMOND

Quinn, Ginger, Georgi, Mara, and May, are standing on the terrace of the third floor, watching as servants pack Laila's things inside the carriage.

"She is really leaving," Ginger says, watching them.

Quinn can't contain her smile, "It was wise for her to give up."

"It was obvious the king did not care, anyway," May adds.

Laila puts a smile on her face when she hugs Amice and Garnet.

"You were never one to give up."

Laila nods, "It is for my own sanity. I need to live my life, for me."

Amice nods, "Where will you go?"

"Back to the village, I came from."

Garnet arches an eyebrow at her, "You have money now-"

"I left it, all of it."

"Why?!" Amice almost yells.

"So that I have no ties to this place. No one ever has a reason to drag me back here."

"You packed your clothing. His money bought all of that."

"No one will wear them if they remain here. I will give them all away, and work for Mr. Godfrey."

Garnet shakes her head, "Laila-"

"Mr. Godfrey is a good man. Don't feel bad for me," she says, trying her best to smile.

Both women look at each other before hugging her. Out of all the ladies in the castle, she had been through the worst kind of treatment. She deserves to be happy.

"I will visit," Amice says.

"I will be waiting."

Laila turns around, heading down the stairs, and sees Sandra. She hugs her one last time, "Just you wait My Lady, I will leave and come stay with you."

"Don't give up your life for me, I will be fine."

"You are my friend," Sandra says, making Laila smile. "Whatever you decide then."

She turns around walking out of the castle, and down the steps to the carriage that is there. She has accepted her fate.

"Look at her," Quinn says, watching Laila, in her green dress, head towards her carriage.

"She's not even out of the castle but is back to wearing her rags," Mara scoffs, making the ladies chuckle.

"Today will be a good day. I can feel it," May says, as the ladies turn to her.

Quinn nods, "I cannot tell you how just her mere existence frustrates me!"

The ladies continue to talk while Ginger glances back down, only to furrow her eyebrows.

"The king," she says.

"What?" May asks.

The ladies stop their chatter looking back, and they gasp. King Stephan is standing right there, in front of Laila.

"You cannot leave," he says to Laila, who resists the urge to roll her eyes at this man.

"Watch me," she says, turning to walk inside the carriage, but he grabs her hand, yanking her against him. She gasps at his actions, only to see him bringing out a necklace that has the family diamond on it.

"Do not put that around my neck," she says in anger. She knows exactly what this man is trying to do, and it will not work.

"As King, I order you to stand still."