Chapter 50: TALK ABOUT IT

Laila walks out of the castle, and into the garden, taking a seat on one of the stone chairs. He knows everything about her, everything she wanted to leave behind. It would have been easier keeping this secret with her till she died, but him, knowing only makes it harder for her to live with it. She does not think she can stay with him, knowing that he knows about who she truly is. Sure he says he doesn't care, but once they get married, people are going to know, people are going to talk, and that will definitely put pressure on him. What's worse? They might even brand their children! All these things solidify Oma's point. The both of them were never meant to leave that hill.

Laila doesn't know how long she's sitting there till Arthur makes his presence known.

"My Lady," he says, bowing.

"Commander." Seeing him take a seat beside her she wonders. How would he react if he knew who she truly was?

"What's troubling you? Don't tell me-"

"It's not about the king," she says, looking at him. "I mean part of it is not about him...it's me."

"What about you?"

Laila debates in her head, whether it would be wise to tell him about her life. Taking a deep breath, she says, "Let's say you are so in love with this person-"

"Like I am now?" he smirks, making her frown.

"I'm being serious."

"I apologize."

She gives him a stern look before continuing, "You are so in love, and you have finally gotten this woman. Both of you are living happily, but then you find out that her past is so ugly. In fact, somehow it ties into one of your siblings being hurt. Would you view that person differently?"

"Never"

"But don't you think that when the person makes mistakes, you would be more likely to blame it on her past?"

"But that's all it is...a mistake. Whoever will do that, clearly does not cherish the person. I know that I would never judge someone for the past, and I would rip apart anyone that would make her feel that way."

"What if she says, that the mere fact you know of this ugly past, makes her feel that way, even though it's not your intention."

"Then, I'd spend the rest of my life, ripping that mindset out of her head."

"..."

"My Lady, you have to go inside now, it is getting dark out here."

Looking around and seeing the sunset, she realizes she has actually been out here for a very long time. How long was she lost in her thoughts?
"Alright, thank you," she says, standing up, but stops turning back to him.

"She's very beautiful."

Furrowing his eyebrows, he asks, "Who?"
"Clarice."

"She's been through too much."

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't be. I'm not the one who went through it," he chuckles, standing up.

"Goodnight My Lady."

"Goodnight Commander."

They both part ways, Arthur to his quarters, and Laila to the king's chambers. She does not think she can sleep on the same bed with him, her heart, aches too much.

Opening the door, she sees the bed empty, her heart dropping. Why is she upset? She just said she did not want to sleep with him!
"I won't make you uncomfortable, you can have the bed," Stephan's voice says. Turning, she sees him lying on the long chair close to the divider.