Chapter 59: BROKEN

"Laila," Stephan calls, walking back to her, but she does not answer. Touching the midwife, he looks at her, "Why is she not answering me?"

The woman shakes her head, trying her best to hold back her tears. "Princess," he says, gently tapping her hand, but she does not move.

No, no, no! This cannot be happening to him!

"Laila," he calls, holding her cheeks, but again, he's met with no response. Laying his head on her chest, he can't believe there's no heartbeat, she's not even breathing.

He can't lose someone again. The feeling is gut-wrenching. He cannot go through this again! It's a dark place.

"Princess, wake up," tears leave his eyes as he presses her face against his.

How can he live without Laila? Without her charming smile, her heartwarming laugh, everything that gives him life, he's nothing. He cannot raise their children by himself, he refuses to do it by himself.

"My love, I need you, please come back," he begs as tears run down his face.

Laila's lifeless body is a sight too painful for anyone to look at. He promised her a happy life with him and their children, but she couldn't even live to care for them. What sort of ill luck does she have that as soon as she's happy, everything starts to crumble?

When Stephan had first apologized for how he treated her, he turned back because of the incident at the celebrations.

When Laila had made up her mind to leave after he called her a whore for making him jewelry, he forced betrothal upon her.

Again, he apologized, and she was happy for a while, only to be labeled a whore yet again when he found out she was pregnant.

She moved on with her life, leaving him and the castle, and then he brought her back showing her happiness, but then her past was uncovered, filling her with grief.

Stephan made her understand he loved her regardless before leaving for war, only for her to be kidnapped by her 'brothers'.

Now, when they're supposed to be happy with their children, the gods decide she should not be. That their family was not supposed to be in the first place.

How can a woman suffer so much throughout her life? Why didn't the Witch of the West warn him that his happiness will be so short-lived? Then he would have never gone to Amaris to end slavery. At least not at this time. Yes, he is that selfish. He would've spent all this time with her, giving her the happiest memories, if he had known she would die in childbirth. But she spent her last days in pain and tears. She does not deserve this.

Perhaps it would have been better if he never met her, then she would not have suffered so much because of him. But again, he is selfish, and he doesn't know if he would resist not going back to her all over again, because he is so in love with her it hurts. Imagining this life without her is unbearable.

So she's really gone.

"Out of my way!" comes Saya's voice from the door. The guards open it, and Saya rushes to Stephan's side.

"My Lord, please I think I can help," she says, her eyes watering. Gently letting her go, Saya rests Laila's head back, taking out a small bottle and opening her mouth, pouring the content down her throat.

Everywhere is silent as both Saya, the midwives, and Stephan watches Laila, who immediately opens her eyes coughing.

Stephan feels his heart lighten, immediately pulling her into a tight hug. She was just dead, and now she's alive? He doesn't care how it happened, his wife is alive.