Twenty-Nine

Anniversary

⚠️

If it weren't for his patience and composure, he must have told her everything he had planned; she must have noticed the little smiles he tried so hard to hide and might have embarrassed himself in front of her, but she didn't ask questions

If it weren't for his patience and composure, he must have told her everything he had planned; she must have noticed the little smiles he tried so hard to hide and might have embarrassed himself in front of her, but she didn't ask questions. Didn't raise a brow. Good. Jimin thought, relieved that the quivering excitement he had this morning has now drowned into a silent calmness.

He could feel the warmth from their intertwined fingers, her thumb brushing through his skin while her gaze was far ahead.

"Enjoyed this day?" Jimin hummed, looked at her in a second, then back to the calm waters of the ocean.

Jeongyeon turned to him, feeling the slightest coldness of the dry wind. She had grown more beautiful, he noticed, but she had always been this way, elegant, conservative yet, simple. And he must be lying to himself if she wouldn't be the one he'll grow old with, have a family with, and live a life worth living.

"Yeah," Jeongyeon said, smiling with the tint of blush on her cheeks. "You don't know how much I enjoyed this day. With you." She added the last words in a whisper, her voice soft and serene.

Jimin felt a bubbling pit under his stomach, just like what she always did to him.

"What? You don't believe me?"

"What?" He pulled back from his reverie, realizing he had momentarily swayed from their conversation. He looked back at her. "I said nothing like that."

He heard her breath. "I just... feel like something is off."

"Off? What do you mean 'off'"?

Jeongyeon wasn't the type to open her thoughts freely, even just for a simple matter. She always had been kempt for herself, hadn't wanted to give others a burden or trouble. She had this maturity that not everything is needed to be consoled verbally, from their petty arguments or when one decided to flatten the feud, she was never the person for words, but she is a woman of action. She had been like this, and when she knows her presence is needed, she will make him feel she is there for him. And she had been. Always.

"Stop joking around Jimin-ah." Now, she sounded like his mom. "You're hiding something, I sense. For years we've been together, I can simply tell what you're up to, even the face you make when you needed to take a shit."

The last remark had left him in a burst of laughter. The wind had gone down in centigrade, and the lights from the open establishments near the shore had glimmer upon the sand. There were people around, a couple, just strolling around the beach. Just by the echoes of roaring thunders, Jimin thought it was time to head back before the weather gets a toll on their vacation.

"Funny, Yoo." He remarked, still holding her hand. "Can't I have this time with you; on our anniversary?" But then, he leaned over her; his nose brushed the skin where her ear and jaw met. When she sensed his proximity, she came to a stop, peering in more.