Eleven

𝓒𝓸𝓷𝓷𝓮𝓬𝓽𝓮𝓭

She has an ability—a unique gift that no one can ever possess. When she was young, at the age of nine, she started to see things, unordinary things. She was terrified at first, she had told her mother everything but she didn't believe her, stating she was just seeing things and it's just her pure imagination.

Jeongyeon was furious but as she grew older, she completely understood that sometimes there are things she only has to keep to herself and doesn't need to be known by others. It had been a secret of her ever since.

Thirteen years after, she grew more mature and nothing had changed. She can still see unimaginable images that no one can see. The difference is, now, she knew the purpose of this given gift. She knew how it works. She knew why it exists.

But there's only one question that kept her a slave of her thoughts.

And the answer is for her to find out.

..•.•.♦♥♦.•.•..

6: 45 a.m. The alarm went wild.

Her eyes opened slowly; a moan escaped her lips. She rubbed her eyes and stared at the clock. Momentarily, everything stopped and she frantically jumped out from her bed.

"No... no. no." Jeongyeon continuously blabbered.

She overslept... again. It is the weekend and she works every morning at a café near her apartment on Sundays and Saturdays as a waitress. The pay is pretty fine, enough for her to help her parents to at least support their finances.

She went to the bathroom and took a quick bath and began combing her long hair. She also wore a white polo shirt and black slacks. She got her apron with her and a small purse. Before anything else, Jeongyeon quickly arrived outside and paused for a while.

She gazed up at the morning sky, amazed as if she hadn't seen one.

Her lips went agape and her eyes showed admiration... curiosity.

The sky was filled with imaginary red floating lines... laces. It was thousands. It almost shrouded over the city, covering it with its bright red color. It moved like waves in the ocean—it danced. It was as a means of transportation, from one end to another, it traveled the world, connecting one person to its better half.

Red strings.

That's what they call it.

Each person, the red string is tied at their pink fingers and the line goes on forever. It connects two people, to be with each other like fate. Like they were meant to be. But sadly, no one can see it and takes love for granted. Blinded and poisoned with lust.

Jeongyeon had learned that red strings bring two lovers together, they are bound to be one for eternity. Through the years, she witnessed how one person finds their other half and they would live happily, for some, it comes tragic and was heart-wrenching to watch. Jeongyeon would see red strings vanish away in thin air—meaning, love had faded or a lover died.

Watching those events is also a tiring activity, sometimes, it drained her energy. But she got used to it... she was inspired by people's different stories just by seeing those strings in the sky.

Everyone in the world, there is a string of fate tied to their fingers... everyone.

Jeongyeon suddenly sulked down at the thought. A familiar feeling grossed within her. She slowly stared at her hands... at her fingers...

Nothing. No red string.

It was empty.

Never in her life had she experienced what others experienced. Maybe, it wasn't the right time so Jeongyeon waited for years but nothing. No red string. That's the only question that she eagerly needed an answer. Why? How ironic it is that she can see what happens to other people's lives but not hers.