~| 50 |~

I watch my coven combat training without any way of joining myself. We have tried putting me in jackets with gloves, pants, big boots—all sorts, but the big clothing always makes training more difficult for me and the session turns out to be just a waste of time. In addition, the clothing doesn't usually even work. I get accidentally jabbed by Eliza in the face and boom, red flashes make me crumple to the ground.

I hate sitting in the wings without having anything to do. As an attacker, I should be out there training them and kicking their asses to prove myself worthy of this position. But instead, I'm back here glowering at the wall like a child because I can't join in with the adult activities.

You don't realise touch is such a simple, natural thing until you're unable to have it at all. Training, hugs, day-to-day life, it's all suddenly inaccessible to you in a way you can't control, and I hate that. I'm not a control freak... I just like things when they go my way. Unsurprisingly.

After Lilly impressively gets Andy pinned to the floor—although I have my doubts in case Andy let her take him down—Eliza comes over to sit with me. She says nothing because she knows there isn't much I want to say, or that she can say to make me feel better than I do. We watch the training together, especially closely when Tyler gets involved.

Everyone knows what's happened between us. It's been about two weeks already and we're both just as happy apart as we were together, if not better in my case. It isn't weird because we make sure not to make it weird. We're strictly friends and I hope everyone sees that it's better for us, how we're supposed to be. Eliza certainly knows, but Lilly and Andy are slightly bummed out that they're the only couple again. Apparently, it's been that way for a long, long time.

As the fighting simmers down, the coven progressively joins me and Eliza on the bench. Only Andy is left at some point throwing punches at mid air, which is his natural state if he's in a training ring. He could go for hours if we let him.

We won't let him.

"I've heard word about a vampire fight going down tonight," Eliza whispers to me and anyone else who is listening. "Are you up for attending, or do you need to keep giving your mind a rest?"

"I'm not sure," I say honestly.

"You should stay back," Tyler interjects, staring at me around Lilly. He gives me the kind of smile that originally made me have a crush on him, but it has little to no affect on me now.

"I might."

"We can handle everything without you. As long as we have Andy and Eliza, we're as safe as can be." Tyler grins over at Andy, who finally stops throwing punches to walk back to us. He isn't as tired as he should be because he's something called physically fit? Never heard of her.

He takes a seat between Tyler and Lilly. "I think we'll be able to manage without you, too. If your mind needs to rest, let it rest." It's unusual for Andy to speak up like this, so I take his suggestion more than anyone else's. They're worried for me and all they can think to do right now is put me on the bench for my safety.

"Alright," I finally decide, "I guess I'm staying home. I'll keep to the coven house and will be ready in case you guys need me. You'll have to text or something, don't neglect it just becau-"

"Lydia, we'll be fine, we told you." Eliza rubs my shoulder over the top of my jacket then stands up. Her eyes are on the window as she crosses the room. "I think we should head out soon if we want to get there early—it'll give us the upper hand."

"I agree. Let's go get changed." Lilly takes Andy's hand and they leave the room, shortly followed by Eliza and Tyler. I follow but only to head into the coven house living room, which feels empty without anyone else here. I take a reluctant seat on the couch, leaning my head back in frustration.