|~42~|

"You can't stop me." I say as I take Colby's hand. He's been trying to convince me not to come with them to ambush Annalise for a long time now and he just won't listen to me. I can and will be a massive help. All I have to do is send her to her knees then we stake her and it's a job done.

"Doesn't mean I have to like it, Lydia." Colby replies quietly as he gives me a look. I just smile at him, standing on my toes to kiss his lips for just a second. The way his muscles completely loosen against me is dangerously exciting.

"Come on, you're taking too long." I tease. I drag him towards the door and he finally moves from his room. We go quickly down the stairs just holding hands. The clan are waiting except for the girls. From what we know, Annalise has a lot of other vampires who are helping her, which means that it'll take a minute to get inside. But once we're there, we'll have her dead in minutes.

"Kevin, Corey, Sam, Brennen, Elton, and I will go in first and take out as many of the vampires as we can. As long as they're out of the fight, they're no trouble and don't need to be killed. Mike and Cassie, both of you need to stay with Lydia at the back." He exaggerates the word as he looks at me and I roll my eyes.

"Are we going to have to hold you back, Lydia?" Cassie asks playfully, grabbing my arm. I smile at her and shake my head but deep down everyone knows it's true. I'm not going to be afraid to move forward into the house to find Annalise. I don't want anyone to get her before me.

"If anyone gets hurt, we get that person back to the house. It should only take one or two and the rest of us keep fighting."

"Are we going in loud?" Elton asks. "Annalise might flee if we do and I don't want to have to kill a bunch of vampires for no reason."

"She won't run. She has too big of an ego to run. She'll think her army will stand a chance and just wait for us to all die, which won't happen." Colby explains while shaking his head. He glances at the window at the far end of the room and nods. "Time to go so we can catch her completely off guard."

I naturally hold onto Colby when the world blurs around me. We're flying through the air, it feels like, until we stop in front of a large house. There are already vampires in sight standing on the front porch and the moment they see us, lots of pairs of black eyes appear. I'm pushed behind Colby and I feel Cassie take my hand to bring me to the back of the group with Mike.

The front line of defence moves so fast forward that I don't see it coming. And then the vampires on the front porch and yard are lying motionless. It doesn't look like they're dead because their skin hasn't turned grey but right now, they certainly aren't living.

We slowly begin to approach the house. In the distance, a few vampires scream out in pain. I first think that it might be one of ours until we move closer and there's not a single one of us with even a scratch. I notice Mike take his place just beside me and we walk slowly in a formation into the house. It's old and dark and dingy. The stink is that of dead bodies, though none are to be seen anywhere downstairs.

"She's up there." Cassie whispers, pointing up the stairs for me. I notice a flash of Annalise's hair disappearing behind the bannister and a blur move along the balcony. Taking my hand, the three of us run up the stairs only to see Annalise and Tom about to jump from the window. I lash my hand out, giving Annalise the pain of giving birth times a million on her brain. She falls to the ground, forcing Tom to stop and drop with her.

"Stop it or I'll kill every single one of your friends." Tom growls at me, patting Annalise's back. By the look on her face, she's in so much pain right now that she can't even speak. After a second of silence following lots of screams, a bunch of our clan come upstairs, including Colby. He stands beside me ready to pounce in front of me just in case.

"Looks like you won't be doing shit." Sam snaps at him. He moves to attack Tom when I hear a slightly pained noise. My head snaps to Colby just in time to see him drop to his knees clutching his head. I want to help him but I can't let Annalise go. She'll be more trouble than-

Before I can finish my train of thought, a stake comes flying from somewhere on the room and goes straight into Colby. For a heart-stopping second, I think it's in his chest but it looks to have just about missed. Nevertheless, he collapses to the side and I drop my control of Annalise instantly as I kneel down next to Colby.

"Fuck." Jake comes down with me and takes a hold of the stake. God knows how fast my heart is pounding in my chest right now. If Tom wasn't so distressed, Colby would have just died right in front of me.

"Do it, Jake." Sam says in a panic. Jake quickly pulls the stake out of Colby but he doesn't move. He's just lying there motionless. My breathing hitches and my eyes begin to water.

"He's not-"

"No. He's just really weak." Brennen assures me. I let out a breath of relief when I remember that my blood can heal him. Without wasting even a second, I pull the knife I stole from Tom so long ago out of my pocket and slash a cut across my palm. A couple of the vampires gasp but I ignore them, holding my hand above Colby's mouth. A couple of drops of blood drop before the wound heals. I watch for an agonising couple of seconds until Colby jolts awake. He almost headbutts me when he sits up.

"Thank god." I mumble under my breath. I want to give him a hug and ask him to take us back to the house so that we're away from danger but now's not the time; Annalise and Tom are gone and we don't know where.

"Where did they go?" Aaron asks in a panic. I help Colby to his feet and look around the room for any clues. Of course, there isn't anything but the place they used to stay. A thought crosses my mind - a witch thought - so I walk forwards. I press my hand against the wall that Annalise was once leaning against and close my eyes.

After just a second, my eyes fly open and I have no doubt that they're a creepy white as I experience everything that's been said in the area around me. The most recent is the clearest and the first thing I hear is 'set their house on fire' and then the conversation becomes more clear. I realise at that moment where Annalise and Tom are, and it makes me want to vomit.

I quickly back away from the wall and look at the guys. "They're going to burn down the house. We need to get there now." I say so fast that I wonder if they can hear me. Within a second, there are hands on my hips and the world turns into a blur around me. I smell smoke way before I see the house actually on fire. Annalise and Tom are sitting on top of the building with smirks on their faces.

"Holy shit." Elton shields himself from the licking flames.

"Katrina!" Sam screams as loud as he can. The other boys who have girlfriends in there search desperately for any sign of them in the windows.

"Fuck. This'll hurt." I mumble. I walk up to the front porch, which is partially on fire itself and I lift my hands. With my memories of how to use my powers back, I know that I can get rid of any fire even if I haven't set it. It just hurts like a bitch. The witch has to absorb every ounce of the fire and it overruns her nerves with energy. And it burns; just like fire should.

The flames begin to fly into my palms as I let out a pained scream. Bit by bit, all of the fire in the house disappears, leaving only smoke and my arms and face glowing with orange; my eyes just the same. I can hear Sam yelling for Katrina and I only just get to see her before the last of the flames disappear.