|~36~|

Lydia Drake
There's been little things here and there. I've made a few doors close, some things fly to my hands, and lights flicker. It's taking a lot of time but I'm getting there, slowly. Staring at a door, eventually I can make it shut. One time I did it in front of Colby's face and he couldn't open it until I did. Like a barrier. That's certainly good to know.

In other news, Jake has fed from Tara and when we had a Saturday to ourselves, she wouldn't stop talking about it. She said it was the most amazing thing ever and so intimate and all this shit. I know that it's supposed to be nice, but I'm not sold on it yet. Hell, I don't know if I ever will be. I feel bad for Colby but I can't change for him. That's not really healthy.

Tara's been with me at work all day today and we're just coming back to the house. "I feel like we're here too much." Tara says as she laughs and shuts my car door.

"Maybe." I shrug and smile back. I turn around, heading towards the stairs. "But no one's complaining." Just as I go to open the door, I feel a shock of electricity and spin around. Tara's still there but she's not alone anymore. A vampire—and also a bitch—is standing behind her, a hand on her hair and another harshly on her wrist. "Jake!" I yell as loudly as I can, not that I need to. He's already with me.

"Let her go, Annalise." He growls, standing in the doorway. "You're outnumbered here and you know that." My eyes flick around the driveway to see small movements that must be the rest of the guys. A hand gently takes mine and I don't even have to look up to know exactly who it is.

"I probably won't hurt the girl." Annalise giggles as she brings her face closer to my best friend's neck. I'm getting angrier the longer I stare at what's happening. "But I might. Come on, Jake. Come and save her."

As Jake takes a step forward out of the threshold of the house, I notice a man behind the front gate that I don't really recognise. He shoots his hand out, forcing Jake down to the ground without even touching him. Jake's clutching his head as if someone's screaming down his ear. A witch, I realise. That pain we can inflict on vampires.

"Stake him." Annalise says. Everyone looks at her in confusion. Her eyes are black and she seems to be staring at me, but it's not me. I turn around and see Tori's eyes flash silver. She begins to walk forwards. "You wouldn't kill Aaron's soulmate, would you?" Annalise asks teasingly. "If you don't stop her, she'll stake him. And she won't stop until she's done it."

"Stop it, Annalise." Colby growls. Aaron's moved to the doorway and is desperately trying to push Tori back but she lifts her stake and tries to get him instead.

"Tori!" He yells. But she doesn't come around. I panic. What can we really do? She's going to kill one of the vampires if they try to stop her and we can't—

"Aaron, back up." I say quickly, pulling him through the threshold onto the front porch. I look at the door and will it to close. The power I feel when my magic works begins to build. I feel like it's about to work.

"Run, Tori! Faster. You must kill Jake now!" Annalise yells as she realises what's happening. But she's too late. The door slams shut and only Tori's heavy bangs on it can be heard for a moment. She tries the handle but it doesn't even budge. I did it again. My powers . . .

"Try again." I snap at Annalise. She growls at me, throwing Tara down onto the ground then disappearing along with the guy behind the gate. I've never seen such fury in anyone's eyes but she looks like I just ruined her entire plan. Maybe I did. I don't care. "Tara!" I run to my best friend and pick her head up from the ground. She's panting and when I meet her eyes, I see how scared she is. "It's okay."

"Is . . . is Jake alright?" I glance back at the vampire gasping for his breath and holding onto his head. But he's alive. Nodding, I pull Tara up to her feet. She leaves me instantly to pull Jake up too and give him a hug.