|~38~|

"Good evening." My head snaps in the direction of the voice I don't ever want to hear again. There, standing across the parking lot, is Annalise and her stupid witch boyfriend. She's not too close to me but she's close enough to instantly put me on edge. "You're looking lovely."

"Fuck off." I say instantly. She threatened my best friend and whether she meant to hurt her or not, I'm not accepting that. Plus I know now that she's nothing but trouble.

"That's rude, Lydia. What have I ever done to you?" She asks with a sinister look on her face.

"Bit me. Like a million times." I exclaim back at her like it's obvious, which it should be.

"It wasn't a million times." She rolls her eyes. "And you've proven to be a pain in my ass, so you deserved it." I look at her like she's mad but she only smiles. It dawns on me that all of the girls are with me in the bar, it's dark, and we have nothing to protect ourselves with. My hand, which is thankfully already in my pocket, clutches my phone. I do my best to remember how to get onto Colby's contact—since he's on speed dial—without making it look obvious.

"What do you want?" I snap at her. I really hope she can't hear the phone dialling, which I think it is. By the look on her face, she can't, as she just smiles at me.

"You. I thought I'd made that clear from day one." She replies and giggles. I narrow my eyes at her. What could she want with me? I know I'm a witch but it's not like she doesn't have a witch already. And I'm not special in any other way.

"What about me?"

"You'll find out." Truly helpful. I'm itching to test out my powers and see if I can send her down to the ground but I know that it could be a bad idea. If she doesn't want to attack me or my friends here, then I shouldn't attack her first. Although . . .

Before I can finish that thought, a breeze flies passed. Then another breeze goes by. All of a sudden, all of the boys are here and the girls, who were inside, are hidden securely behind them. I'm sure we look like an army . . . I hope so.

"Ah, you called reinforcements." Annalise grins. "Probably the right choice but they can't do anything when they're blinded." All of a sudden, Tom—I believe he's called—holds up a piece of jewellery that looks completely normal to me. But all of the boys and Cassie hiss and try to turn away. I look at Colby worriedly, who's even being affected by it. "Come to me." I look back to Annalise in confusion, until I see Tara with silver eyes walking towards her.

"Tara, no!" I exclaim, catching Jake's attention, but not for long. Something is thrown at him that sends him down to the ground in pain. I notice the same thing hitting Colby and he hisses, his eyes black. I know I shouldn't be frightened but it catches me off guard and I almost take a step back from him.

All of this has distracted me. By the time I turn back around, Tara is standing next to Annalise, who's whispering something in her ear. Before I can run and get her back, however, Colby just about grabs my wrist to stop me. I spin, glaring at him but he's still hiding from the blinding light of vervaine.

"Lydia, you care about this one, yes?" Annalise asks slowly, holding onto Tara's arm. I see the fear hidden behind those compelled eyes and all I want to do is help her. Thanks to Colby, I can't. "You are no longer under compulsion." Annalise says, staring at Tara. She shakes her head then the fear takes over. She starts fighting to break away from Annalise, which is clearly useless. There's nothing I can do. Not with Colby holding onto me.

"Lydia!" Tara yells when Annalise holds her in a different way. She's standing with her head tilted to the side behind Tara and I dread to think why.

"Colby, let go of my fucking wrist before I kill you." I say lowly without looking at him. But he doesn't. I'm genuinely considering figuring out this stupid pain thing so I can get him to let me go but I'm not sure if I could physically use that power on him. It's against my nature. Damn the soulmate bond.