|~26~|

Colby Brock
Seeing her lying in my bed wearing my shirt doesn't help the fact that I don't want to leave her. It's not that I don't trust the people in the house, it's just that I want to be with her. Generally. All the time. I've never felt this way. It's so confusing but I . . . I actually like caring about someone. It gives me pleasure knowing she'll be okay even if it hurts to imagine the opposite.

When I leave the room, I'm immediately met by Sam stepping out of his bedroom. He glances at the door I've just closed, smiles, and looks back at me.

"So you did it?" He asks gently. "She's your girlfriend now?"

"Yes, I did it." I reply quietly without meeting his gaze. I know he's beaming at me with a boyish grin that I just can't muster up myself.

"I'm glad. She'll be good for you; put you in your place AND love you." I give him a sharp look that makes him raise his hands. "Am I wrong, Colby? I'm not an idiot. I experienced the same thing with Katrina. You already love her." I ignore him and begin walking down the hallway.

At the bottom of the stairs is most of the guys, minus Jake, but I can sense Tara in his room so he's busy doing that for now. "Mike, Kevin, Sam, and Corey, I want you guys to come with me for the job. I need Elton, Brennen, and Jake at least to stay here and guard the girls."

"You never want someone to guard the girls." Jake, who joins at the worst moment, slowly walks downstairs with a grin on his face.

"Well some things change. Get used to it." I snap then turn to the door. "This job may be dangerous and take a while so if we want to be back before sunrise, we have to go right now."

"Be safe, sweetie!" Aryia yells jokingly after Mike, who goes first as always. I quickly follow behind and listen to the footsteps of the other vampires I've asked to come with me.

We fly through the city at the speed of light, it feels like, towards our target. This isn't just an intimidation or protection job; it's basically an assassination. One of our signed 'groups' are having some issues with a rival and they just want them gone. So, after assessing the situation, I've decided that's fair.

If this goes smoothly, I'll still be able to spend a good while with Lydia tonight. And that's important.

**********

A set up. Of course it was a setup. Normally, this isn't bad because it doesn't take much to defeat a couple of humans who think they can take me and my friends on. But these aren't normal humans; they're hunters. They have stakes laced with vervaine, bottles of vervaine, and they'vd covered the room with vervaine before we got there. We were so weak and it took every ounce of our supernatural abilities to defeat the fuckers. But we did. They're dead now; lying on a random warehouse floor ripped apart.

The most effected of us is me and Corey. Corey got a bottle of vervaine shoved down his throat before Mike could get to him and he was super weak for the rest of the fight. Me, on the other hand: I had a stake laced with vervaine shoved almost all the way into my chest. It only pierced through the shirt and one small layer of skin, but it weakened me enough for the rest of the fight to be a struggle.

Thankfully, I brought Mike and Kevin because they're strong vampires. They aren't as strong as me but I only get my extra power from my position as head of the clan . . . well, no. I'm just gifted. But it's nice to think that they help.

Regardless, I'm furious about what happened and my monster is all out of control. It wants revenge and it wants to tear more of those stupid hunters to so many pieces it'd be like solving a jigsaw to get them back together again.