|~21~|

Lydia Drake
I brush my fingers through my hair as I look at myself in my mirror. I got home ten minutes ago and have ordered—and received—some Chinese food for Colby and I to eat. After all, I'm assuming that he'll continue his ten or so day streak and come to my apartment for dinner again. I hope he does. I've grown to like him, though of course it's only the nice, soft side that he's showing me.

Just as I go to leave for the kitchen anyway, there's a gentle knock on my front door. I quickly walk through the small hallway and up to the door, peeking through to check that Colby is on the other side. He is.

"Hey." I say as I let him in and shut the door behind him. He looks different to normal; sort of like when he started being all soft with me. He's acting different, standing more awkwardly. "I ordered Chinese food, if that's okay? I know you don't really like it all that much, but um . . . " I trail off when his hand grabs mine and he lifts it to his mouth, pressing his lips against my skin. I feel a shock go through my system.

"It'll be fine

"It'll be fine. Thank you." He says slowly, keeping my gaze on his eyes. I'm already mesmerised without him doing that. Completely mesmerised. "How much was it? I'll pay you back." But that snaps me back.

"What? No. It's fine."

"I live in a sort-of-mansion, Lydia. I think I can afford it." I aggressively shake my head and reluctantly pull my hand away, turning to the kitchen counter. I take a seat on the little stool as he slowly comes up to join me.

"What was that for?" I ask him, watching the way he's just casually finding his box. He doesn't reply, though, which gets on my nerves a little. "Colby." I warn using my best parental voice. "Colby, tell- "

"You'll find out soon." He says quickly probably sharper than he means it to be. I narrow my eyes at him suspiciously. There's something off here. He's acting different to normal like he's more on edge and I don't like it at all. He's on the gap between being soft and being a hardass; pushing it the wrong way by the looks of it.

"Well, you might be interested to know that I want to come to the house soon." I tell him quietly. I want to see how he'll treat me when there are others around; when others are watching. Knowing him, he'll return to his normal self and I'll push him away again, but I hope that he doesn't. I hope that he doesn't but it's just inevitable at this point.

"Why?"

"I want to see Tara some more. It's been too long since I hung out with her properly." I shrug. "Thought you'd like not having to leave your home to see me."

I've got him there. He's silent. Dead silent. He isn't even eating anymore: just staring down at the counter. "I don't want you to come over yet." He finally says, which confuses the hell out of me.

"May I ask why? Or are you going to turn into a jackass?" He gives me a look that's thankfully amused.

"You can ask why. I want something before you go there."