|~32~|

Lydia Drake
When I wake up, I'm not entirely sure where the hell I am. The last thing I remember is falling asleep on the beanbag back at the Trap House but as I open my eyes, I see my own bedroom. I'm in my bed under the covers still wearing the same clothes as yesterday . . . and Colby's beside me. He's lying on top of the bed on his front with one leg sort of resting over mine, though he probably doesn't know it, and he's sleeping.

I watch, for a few moments, the rise and fall of his torso as he breathes before glancing at the time. I really gotta get to work soon or I'm gonna be in trouble. I know that my fingers are gonna hurt after this because I'm not used to playing the guitar so much anymore. After two days, I'm gonna be sore.

With a quick shower and speedily getting changed, I'm ready for work in no time. I leave my spare key on the bedside table, kiss Colby's cheek, and leave him a text for when he wakes up. Hopefully he won't worry that I've suddenly gone.

Something that's been bothering me is those black eyes that I saw. It was undeniable that the woman's eyes turned a black and scared the shit out of me. After all, it's not every day that someone decides to change eye colour right in front of you. Something about what she said as well . . . she was telling me to forget the people I care about. What sense does that make? Did she think she can control my mind or something?

I want answers, but I'm not going to get any answers. Because who could I ask about that? I can't tell my boyfriend or he'll think I'm mad; my best friend will probably react in the same way; and so would any other person with a brain. They'd think I'm insane.

Without even realising it, I'm walking into the bar holding my guitar case. Kirsten is already on stage but she's sitting with Alex and chatting and there's a couple of regulars at their tables. I don't see the girls like I normally do, which is strange, but I guess understandable. I didn't sleep there last night so I don't know if they've got something to do today.

I'm guessing they do.

"Hey, Lydia." Kirsten says with a smile. I smile back, placing my guitar gently down on the stage as I hop up onto it.

"Hey."

"You did great yesterday. I'm starting to think you should be the main singer instead of me." Kirsten jokes but there's something off about her. She doesn't look normal but instead like she's in some sort of trance or long train of thought.

"Um, thank you. Are you doing okay?" She nods and frowns at me like I'm mad. I glance at Alex, who's frowning at me too. Maybe I'm just imagining it. I'm still on edge because of those black eyes that I saw. It was just so creepy.

"We should probably get the show started." Alex says like nothing happened. He moves the drumsticks around his fingers and grins. The look in his eye is similar to Kirsten . . .

**********

We finish the last song in the evening. Today has been a little different because instead of doing songs all day, we've done a couple and I worked behind the bar when I wasn't on the stage. I like the new rotation because it gives my fingers a break and I still get to perform a little.

It's a little weird that Colby isn't here today but I guess we did finish a little early. I pack up my guitar and start to walk out from the bar. The sun is mostly gone by now but there's still a slither left in the sky. The air is surprisingly boiling still, which is pretty nice.

As I'm walking to my car, my phone begins to ring. I glance down at it to see Colby's name and can't help but get a little mad as I answer. "Lydia, where are you?" He asks immediately.

"Um, at work? Like I'm supposed to be?"

"You can't leave without me." He says sharply. My mouth opens in surprise and I frown to myself. What's gotten into him?

"Excuse me but I do have an apartment to pay for and I don't like waking you up. Can you not be an ass?" I don't know where the attitude comes from but I'm pissed right now. I should be asking where the hell he is since he's not here like he usually is.

"Are the girls with you?"

"Alright. I'm ending the call now." I say angrily as I pull the phone away from my ear. My finger is just about to touch the red button when I hear one last word.

"Lydia—" too late. I hate protective boys. Well, overprotective boys. Just because Colby's my boyfriend doesn't mean he has to come everywhere with me all the time.

"Boy troubles?" I spin quickly around to the sound of a familiar voice. Standing in front of me is the woman from yesterday looking a little scary. She's standing in the shadows beside someone else I can't really see that well. "Hello, Lydia. I'm Annalise."

"Right now, I don't care." I snap at her.

"Do you know about the secret, Lydia?" She asks. "Do you know about your boyfriend's big secret?" I ignore her and shove my guitar into my car, slamming down the trunk. "I'm asking you a question."

"And I'm not listening."

"You will. What if I could tell you the secret?"

"I have trust in my boyfriend to tell me himself. I don't need you trying to manipulate me, thank you." In the blink of an eye, Annalise is in front of me. Right in front of me. Her eyes are normal but there's something different about them.

"You shouldn't trust him."

"Can you leave me alone, please? I'm really not in the mood. And I'm asking nicely." She looks between my eyes then glances down at my chest. Her brows furrow as she takes a step back.

"Where's your necklace?" She asks in a weird way. It's almost like she's some sort of predator staring at her prey and honestly, that's what it feels like.

"Guess I left it at home." I shrug then turn around to leave. I'm done with her. I just want to get home and be alone for a little while. I don't even want Colby to join me. But my plans aren't exactly on her priority list.

"You're not getting away that easy."