|~35~|

I walk downstairs the next morning dressed for work only to see a woman sitting on the couch in the living room. Not just any woman; Tara. She looks tired as she just sits there and stares at her hands. I quickly rush to her, sitting down with my arms around her shoulders. She lets me but also doesn't say anything.

"Did Jake talk to you?" I ask her gently, rubbing my hand up and down her arm. She just barely nods. "And what has your reaction been?"

"It's a lot to learn, Lydia. There's an entire species out there we don't even know about. Vampires! And witches! My boyfriend is a vampire, my best friend is a witch, I wear vervaine."

"I know." I lean my forehead against the side of her head and squeeze her arm. "Do you love Jake?"

"Too much. But I don't know how to handle this." She looks at me desperately, her eyes glossed over with tears and her bottom lip sticking out a little. "How did you?"

"I just realised that I'd seen clues this whole time. And . . . well, I love Colby. It kinda just trumped everything else." If she was upset before, she's even more upset now. She lets out a humourless laugh.

"The one who doesn't believe in love is in love."

"I know. Honestly, I haven't even thought about that for a little while . . . Tara?" She glances at me. "I love you, too." The way her face lights up brightens my day instantly. She hasn't gotten over the huge life-changing secret she's been told but for now, I can distract her.

"Oh my god! I'm gonna hug Colby the next time I see him. Finally! It's only taken you years." I laugh, pulling back from her. "I'm coming with you to work, we have to talk about this." She grabs my hand and drags me up from the couch. I have no choice as I'm pulled out the house altogether.

After a little carpool and chatting the whole time about Colby and Jake, Tara and I break up at the bar. She sits at a table while I go behind the counter. I won't be singing or playing guitar for a little while today . . .

**********

Tara has stayed with me at the bar all day. She's even helped me tend to the bar when it got really busy all of a sudden. I appreciate her help and her company a lot, so I gave her a hug before we got into the car.

Right now, we're walking up the front steps of the house. I can't wait to see Tara hug Colby, which she's talked about all day. She said that anyone who could make me believe in love deserves more than just a hug, but since he is my boyfriend and she has one of her own, she says a hug is all he's getting.

Speaking of Jake, I see him instantly when we step inside. He looks desperate as he stares at me, then Tara. I give him a reassuring smile. Another thing I established today: everything's going to be alright. If Tara trusts her vampire boyfriend, she's going to be fine. And she agrees with me that she loves him too much.

"Let's talk." I hear her say, disappearing up the stairs. I watch them for a moment, making sure she isn't going to back out, then go to turn. Something stops me. More specifically, arms wrap around my waist from behind and a face buries into my neck.

"Hi, Colby." I say with a smile, turning my head. He lifts his and instantly connects our lips. Naturally, I turn around to properly face him and stand on my toes to get closer. One of his hands slides onto the back of my thigh, then goes a little higher, and his other rests innocently on my waist.

When his palm flattens against my skin and his fingers reach even more dangerous territory, I let out a small gasp and pull away. Our eyes meet. All I want to do right now is go upstairs with him, but I'm not sure if I wanna do that yet. Not truly. It's just the mood and the hand . . . and his sexiness.