Oh, To Be Five

(Post-war; At 5 years old, Nora is already experiencing her fair share of drama at school, especially when it comes to the boys; like mother like daughter; and of course...Draco is feeling quite protective of his little girl after a incident at school)

***

ROSE POV

"Hello, darling," I smiled as I walked in the front door after a full day of exhaustion from work. 

As soon as I caught a glimpse at Draco, I could tell that he was wound up about something. It had to have been at least an hour, maybe even two, since he picked up Leo and Nora from school, and he still had on his work clothes. The sleeves of his white button up shirt were rolled up to quarter length, and his hair was messied from his own hands raking through it like he did when he was thinking or frustrated. His dragon leather shoes clicked as he paced back and fourth in the living room, his hands on his hips. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, sending my coat to the closet, keeping a curious eye on him. 

"I picked the kids up from school today, and noticed that Nora looked a little upset, so I said, 'What's wrong, Nora? Are you alright?', and she said that her boyfriend and her broke up today, and he splashed mud from a puddle at her, and laughed when she cried about it." Draco didn't take a single breath as he continued to pace back and fourth. 

"Oh dear..." I sighed, shaking my head. 

Ah, young love. The dramatics of being 5, which were only amplified by the fact that Nora's parents were known to be quite dramatic as well. Here she was living out a mini soap opera before she could even ride a bike without training wheels. 

"A few things. One, since the fuck when did she get a 'boyfriend', and who the fuck told her she could have one? Because it wasn't me. I didn't even know she knew what a boyfriend was!" Draco huffed, throwing his arms to his side. 

"Its just childish little crushes, Draco. You were the same way when you were young." I tried to lighten up his mood, but he was clearly not finished with his tirade. 

"And--fuck--what's that little shit's name again--" he snapped his fingers as he tried to remember. 

"Miles." I answered, leaning against the counter and crossing my arms to wait out his rant. 

"Yes! That's it--wait...did you know about this little...you know what, I'm not calling it a relationship because that makes me want to vomit--" Draco stopped himself with a frown of disgust. 

"Yes, I know about her little crush on Miles." I replied. 

"How?" 

"Nora told me." 

"Why didn't she tell me?" 

"Because you're constantly telling her that she can't date until she's 30." I narrowed my eyes at him and pursed my lips. 

"It's actually 35--" Draco nodded his head and replied with a snark. 

I exhaled heavy and started walking in his direction as he continued to shake his head with his hands on his hips. 

"I'll be speaking with that...Miles boy's parents. Thats for damn sure." Draco huffed as I casually strung my arms around his neck, which seemed to relax his stiff posture a bit. 

"Is she hurt?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"No." Draco replied as if sounded defeated. 

"Is she actively crying?" 

"No." 

"And I'm guessing you've already concocted some stain removing potion and it is currently getting that mud out of our daughter's favorite dress?" I raised an eyebrow, already knowing the answer was yes. 

"Yes." he replied with a sigh, letting his hands rest softly on my hips. 

"As much as I know we both want to, we can't fight every single battle for them." I brushed some of his messy hair with my fingers, "And it's Nora we are talking about. She'll kick someone's arse if she sees the need." 

A soft smile spread on his lips with a soft breath of a chuckle, "I told her that she had permission to if he tried anything tomorrow." 

I rolled my eyes jokingly and shook my head, "Good." I smirked, "And I'll make sure to have a talk with her before bed about boyfriends and what not. Surely she'll learn soon enough that they are nothing but trouble." 

Draco's eyes widened a bit as he nodded, "Hopefully." 

"I can't even imagine how you're going to react if she gets her heartbroken some day." I hugged him closer, putting my head on his chest and relaxing my shoulders. 

"I would like to see someone try." Draco responded, kissing the top of my head and giving me a squeeze. 

There were a few moments of peace as I embraced my husband, feeling pure calm and bliss as I heard his heart beat thudding in his chest. 

But these moments were both rare and short lived. Especially with two kids. 

"Ouch, Nora!" Leo yelled distantly from the kid's playroom, "Mum, Dad! Nora threw her baby doll at me again!" 

Ah...home sweet home.