Quite Unexpected

(post-war; March 2021; the title says it all) 

***

NARRATOR POV

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon at the Malfoy household. Rose and Draco opened the back doors, letting in the sounds and smells of the rain as they watched sappy muggle romance movies on the tv. 

Nora was at the shops with a few of her friends that Draco could not remember the names of to save his life. 

Theo joined his mum and dad for a few movies, before he got bored and asked to have one of his mates over from school. 

Leo and Camille were at their apartment, still decorating and deciding which color they were going to paint the nursery. Rose remembers the argument that her and Draco had about painting Leo's nursery. 

She also remembered what came after that argument. 

All was calm and well as they prepared for the upcoming week of school shopping, work, get togethers, and whatever wild events would spring up in the following days like they always did. 

Rose and Draco had nearly fallen asleep on the couch, lulled by the sounds of the rain and the sun that was dimmed to nearly nothing but grey by the thick clouds outside. 

And then Millicent Zabini burst through the front door like a bat out of hell. 

"For fuck's sake, Millicent." Rose jumped, putting a hand to her chest, "You scared the hell out of me." 

"Sorry. I guess I did barge in didn't I?" Millicent looked at the front door which was still swung wide open. 

"No, we just thought you were Zissy." Draco yawned, "No offense." 

"None taken." Millicent shook her head quickly, "I actually need to talk to Rose for a second." 

"There is this thing called a cell phone, Millie. A small device that prevents my naps being interrupted." Draco frowned. 

"You'll live." Millicent rolled her eyes, "Rose?" 

"Uh...yeah. One second." Rose pulled the blankets off of her and stood from the couch, "If you press play, I'm going to interrupt every nap you take from here on out. Hands off the remote." Rose pointed. 

Draco frowned even harder but shrugged in agreement. 

"Is everything alright?" Rose asked quietly as she walked up to Millicent in the kitchen. 

"You were the first person I thought to come to with--" Millicent paused and peered behind her friend, "Draco, you are awful at being discreet." 

"What? Me?" Draco looked around as if there was anyone else in the house named Draco, "I don't know what you're talking about." 

Rose jokingly rolled her eyes and pulled Millicent along into the bedroom, closing the door and putting up a charm so that Draco's nosey self wouldn't press his ear to the door. 

"Just tell me this first...no one is dying, dead, missing, or seriously injured, correct?" Rose clarified. 

"No. No, everyone is fine." Millicent cleared up the concerns. 

Rose breathed a sigh of relief, "Is everything alright with you and Blaise?" 

Millicent nodded. 

"Did Zissy have another exotic circus animal delivered to your house?" Rose continued her questioning, trying to read her friend's expression. 

"No," Millicent chuckled, "Thank merlin."