Family Tree

(DURING WAR)

***

NARRATOR POV

Narcissa Malfoy could hear her husband's harsh voice echo through the bones of Malfoy Manor as he shouted her name for the third or fourth time, each time sounding more annoyed and irate than the time before. Although Narcissa could see why.

They were supposed to be leaving the Manor. Heading to Hogwarts. Where the Dark Lord has called them to follow. Narcissa and Lucius should probably already be there by now. They might even be the last to show.

She imagined there might be some repercussions for their tardiness from the Dark Lord, and that fear nearly made her sprint to her husband while apologizing profusely for making them late. But Narcissa Malfoy figured that punishment for tardiness wasn't at the top of the Dark Lord's priority list today.

So, with that in mind, Narcissa Malfoy stayed put where she was, letting her angry husband come and find her just so she could stand and stare at her son's face on the Black family tree a little bit longer.

Narcissa Malfoy had been spending a lot of time the past month standing in his exact spot, and she was surprised the wooden floors hadn't started to show wear and tear in the path she took while pacing in front of her family's branches. A wall full of familiar faces and souls, but Narcissa Malfoy's eyes only sought out two other sets that looked back at her.

Draco and Rose.

Her son, and her now daughter-in-law, who has always been like a daughter to her. Two people that Narcissa Malfoy would die to protect. The only two, she thinks. Her husband hasn't been worth dying for for some time now. Come to think of it, Narcissa wasn't sure there was a time that she would've died for Lucius Malfoy.

But she's known since the minute she discovered she was pregnant that she would die for Draco. And she'd do the same for Rose. Because Narcissa knows that Flora Eros would have protected and loved Draco the same way if Narcissa was gone.

She stared at Draco and Rose's faces on the wall. She was used to seeing Draco's, since he's been on the family tree since birth. Rose's was brand new though, but Narcissa always knew it would be Rose's face staring back at her one day.

Rose Malfoy.

Narcissa hoped she would get to meet Rose Malfoy. She hoped she would get to see her son again. She prayed to every star that she would just be able to hug them both again at the end of this. Preferably alive, and preferably once The Order has done what needs to be done.

It was getting harder and harder by the day to conceal the growing hatred and loathing Narcissa held for her Dark Lord. She hated him. For some time now, she has hated that man. But she's played her part well, and no matter what happens, she was approaching the final finish line as soon as she stepped out of this house.

The Order would win, or she'd die.

Either way, she'd be free.

Her main priority was keeping Draco and Rose alive. That's all she wanted. That and for this war that's plagued her entire life, to be over.

Please just let it be over.

Narcissa touched her fingertips to her son's face on the wall, and she felt her heart tear a little. She had no idea what today held, and if she would ever even see her son alive again, so she savored the closest thing to seeing him alive, happy, and safe.

She traced her fingers along the branch that extended out from Draco's name, all the way to Rose. Her heart felt as if it tore again, making her strongest organ feel even more vulnerable.

She missed them. She worried about them. She feared for them.

She hoped that the next time she saw them, they would both be alive.

Her fingers lingered on Rose's portrait for a moment longer when she noticed something peculiar. It was subtle, but Naricissa was able to pick up on it, with how much time she spent looking at their faces on this wall.

The branches around Rose's portrait looked...different. Unlike Draco's right beside her. There was something new.

Narcissa squinted and knelt to get a better look, and she was quickly able to determine that there were now small bulbs along Rose's branches. The bulbs of flowers in their first stages of life. Flowers that were long from blooming, but were on the path to brilliance.

That only meant one thing but...

"There's no way..." Narcissa barely whispered just to herself, a new wave of dread and fear making her stomach sink and her blood run completely cold.

"Narcissa!" Her husband burst into the room, sounding thoroughly annoyed and irate. As per usual. "What the hell are you doing? We have to go! Now!"

Narcissa snapped out of her state of disassociation just as her husband stormed over and grabbed her by her arm, dragging her out of the room as he continued his angry tirade while Narcissa hoped that her mind had just simply been playing tricks on her.