Hogwarts Class of 2028

NARRATOR POV

"Why is no one debating what house I'll be sorted into, hm?" Zissy huffed, crossing her arms and eyeballing Theo Malfoy, Lily Potter, April Black, and her two sisters.

"No offense, Zissy, but it's quite obvious." Alyssa raised her eyebrows and sighed, "What's the big deal? You've always wanted to be in Slytherin."

"I know that but it would still be nice to have some sort of speculation." Zissy shrugged, "Am I that predictable?"

"You are everything but predictable, Z." Leslie put a hand on her sister's shoulder.

"This might actually be the only predictable thing about you." Theo chuckled, taking a step forward with the rest of the line.

"You think I'll be in Gryffindor as well?" Lily asked, picking at her nails nervously.

"I would think so." April chimed in.

"You're in the same boat I am, Lily," Theo stated, "One older sibling in Gryffindor, another in Slytherin. We seem to be the wild card."

"Are you going to ask the sorting hat to put you somewhere specific? My dad said that it takes that into account while sorting." Alyssa asked, looking around to everyone.

"My dad was almost sorted into Slytherin when he asked the hat to be placed in Gryffindor, you know. Can you imagine if the hat decided against his wishes anyway and sorted him into Slytherin instead?" Lily laughed a bit, shaking her head at the thought.

"Then perhaps our fathers would have become friends much sooner." Theo chuckled.

"Ah! There's my favorite students!" The kids turned around to see the joyous face of Teddy Lupin, "Don't tell anyone I said that, yeah. You know it's true though." he whispered at the end.

"Do we call you Professor Lupin now?" Zissy asked curiously.

"Professor Lupin, Uncle Ted...either is fine. But if my boss over there is around, maybe stick to professor." Teddy motioned his head over to where McGonagall placed the hat on the son of Cormac McLaggen.

Teddy decided that the best way to honor both of his parents would be to build his career in the field of defending against dark magic, since his father taught the subject, and as an auror, his mother practiced defense against dark forces every day.

Now that said jinx on the job position was gone, Teddy was more than thrilled when he received a letter back from McGonagall stating that he got the job.

"You lot nervous?" Teddy asked raising an eyebrow.

Everyone answered with an unanimous "yes", except for Zissy, who responded with a resounding "of course not."

"Next is...April Black. Come along sweetheart." McGonagall smiled as the witch approached.

It only took a few moments before the hat had made its decision, and confidently exclaimed "Hufflepuff!". To say that was a shock was an understatement. With a Gryffindor as a father and a Slytherin as a mother, it was almost unheard of. August was direly be shocked, but not Pansy. Pansy knew that her daughter was a Hufflepuff since the day she was born.

Mother's intuition.

There were a few more witches and wizards before it was time for Theo to be sorted, and he found himself much more nervous than he was a few minutes ago.

As he approached the sorting hat, Teddy gave him a thumbs up and a smile of encouragement, and McGonagall welcomed him with a gentle pat on the back.

"Woo Hoo! Go Theo!" sounded across the Great Hall, coming from the mouth of a very enthusiastic ghost.

His uncle Leo, who floated beside Fred and pumped his fist in the air wildly. Theo couldn't help but grin with a small laugh.

"Theodore Malfoy...the youngest of the family, I presume?" the hat prosed once it sat on the wizard's head.

Theodore nodded the slightest bit as he chewed on his lip nervously.

"A balanced mix of both your mother and father it seems...loyal but mischievous...ambitious indeed...can be a bit stubborn, but aren't we all?"

Theo's knee began to bounce as the nerves reached their peak, and all eyes in the Great Hall were on him.

"Let me put an end to your nerves, Mr. Malfoy, your sorting is quite clear...this young man belongs in...Slytherin!" the hat sounded.

Goosebumps traveled over Theo's skin and a smile spread across his face as the Great Hall was filled with claps and cheers that most rang out from the table decorated with green and silver. His robes turned from solid black to lined with green, dotted with silver, and adorned with the emblem of Slytherin house.

A repetitive tune of "I told ya, I told ya, What did I do? I told ya." streamed out from his uncle Leo's lips as he taunted Fred, who crossed his arms and looked unamused with said tune.

"Lily Potter, you're up dear." McGonagall smiled, waiving her over.

It was no surprise what happened next. Within seconds, Gryffindor earned another first year, and now Fred was the one telling Leo "I told ya so".

"Next up...Ms. Alyssa Zabini." McGonagall announced, ushering the young witch forward as she took a deep breath.

"Oh! Another Zabini, aye? Haven't seen a Zabini in ages..." The sorting hat croaked.

"Be prepared. There's three of them..." McGonagall added as Alyssa sat down.

"My word..." The hat sighed, before making contact with, "Let's see here...better be...Ravenclaw!"

"Well...dad just lost 10 galleons." Zissy snorted, clapping along with the rest of the room as Alyssa's robes took on Hufflepuff colors.

"I feel like I could vomit." Leslie sighed, putting her palm to her forehead.

"Calm down. You'll be fine." Zissy scoffed, "Just don't trip on your way up there. That would be humiliating."

Leslie gave Zissy a sharp glare in return.

"Just saying." Zissy put her hands up by her chest in defense.

Moments later Leslie took a seat as the hat was placed on her head, and the contemplation started.

"A January Capricorn...but also very forward thinking and motivated. A rule follower...but doesn't mind bending said rules...within reason, of course..."

Zissy impatiently checked the nonexistent watch on her wrist.

"Hm...alright...let's say...Gryffindor!" the hat announced.

"There goes another 10 galleons." Zissy shook her head as Leslie took her seat.

"Finally...Ms. Zissy Zabini..." McGonagall announced.

"It's going to be Slytherin." Zissy mentioned confidently as she walked up.

"You never know, dear. The sorting hat may surprise you—" McGonagall started.

"Slytherin!" The hat announced.

"But...you've not even been placed on her head..." McGongall questioned with a disbelieving chuckle.

"No need." the hat replied with a tone that was almost weary, "I haven't seen such an obviously Slytherin since 1938."

It took the headmaster a moment before she realized the significance of that year.

"Oh dear..." McGonagall sighed, eyes wide as she watched Zissy approach the Slytherin table, and Leo Riley pull on his collar a bit.

"I'd watch out for that one if I were you." the hat mentioned to McGonagall in reference to Zissy.

"Oh...I'm sure she'll be fine..." McGonagall put on a hesitant smile.

"Minerva..." a voice inquired, "Isn't that the young girl that inquired about bringing a 12 foot Occamy as her pet?" Madam Hooch questioned, raising an eyeball at Zissy.

McGonagall's shoulders fell a bit as she realized that it was hardly the first day, and she knew she was going to have her hands full for the next seven years.

"Yes...yes it is..."