Chapter Twenty-One:

Scarlett

The visit to the doctors wasn't anything special, all he told her was a what she already knew was coming. Her prognosis hadn't improved nor had it declined, essentially, she was at a standstill.

Considering the engagement, Harry decided to bring Scarlett to meet his family a few short hours away.

She was nervous as hell.

Having the past that she had, she'd never really properly met anyone's parents. Especially ones that knew what she did with her life. Or ones that were well aware that she'd slept with their son on multiple occasions before they were dating.

She was terrified that his mother wouldn't like her at all and of just meeting his family in general. What would they think of her? Would they even like her at all or just pretend to for Harry's sake?

Currently, she was destroying the hem of her dress while Harry drove.

Harry chuckled, "Scarlett relax, they aren't that scary. Plus, Mum already adores you and that's pretty much a guarantee that everyone else will too."

Scarlett pouted and continued her nervous actions, "I can't. I haven't done this before."

They reached the first stop sign for miles and he leaned over to kiss her gently, his soft, warm lips bringing her comfort and calming her nerves slightly.

"Everything will be fine I promise."

His presence alone calmed her down significantly. A small smile appeared on her lips, "Is she really raising money for my surgery or was that just to make me feel better?"

Harry's hand found hers while the other remained on the wheel as he began driving again., the contact enough to make her giddy, but not the nervous type of giddy, the holy crap I really do adore you kind of giddy.

Harry grinned, his eyes remaining focused on the road ahead, "She's raised £7,000 so far and counting."

Scarlett's eyes watered at the thought alone, he and his family were such kind people that it made her heart swell, "I can't thank her enough, I wish my mother actually cared that much about me..."

Harry squeezed her hand and placed a delicate kiss to her knuckles, "Technically, she will be your mother soon too you know."
Scarlett bit her lip and smiled slightly, her thoughts had drifted in the other direction and they weren't exactly the brightest, "Do you think the surgery will work?"

Harrh breathed in deeply, "I really do hope so Scarlett, Mum isn't the only one that wants little babies."

Scarlett giggled at his little add on, he was positively adorable, "You're cute. Hopefully we can do that, I want little babies too."

His dimples reappeared and she grinned at the sight, his smile was one of her absolute favourite things about him and she would never tire of it.

Another hour passed before they had finally made it to his mother's flat. Scarlett had nearly torn a hole in her dress despite Harry's attempts to quiet her anxiety.

Harry laughed lightly as they stood outside the door, he held her hand like he was afraid she'd drift away, "Scarlett relax, I like that dress!"

Scarlett's cheeks flushed, "Sorry, I like it too. Are you sure they'll like me?"

Harry knocked on the door, playfully rolling her eyes at her he clarified, "I'm 100% positive Scarlett, you'll see in a few seconds."

He kissed her cheek causing her cheeks to flush as the door opened to reveal a woman who was clearly his mother, they shated same smile and cheery attitude not to mention the spot on genetics.

Before Scarlett could react, his mother embraced her in a hug, she smelt like flowers, she couldn't tell what kind but whatever it was, it was nice.

"It's so nice to finally meet you! I'm Harry's mother but you can call me Anne or Mum if you'd like!"

Scarlett smiled awkwardly, unsure of what to do as she moved to give her son a hug as well. Was that a normal thing when meeting your significant other's family?

Harry chuckled lightly, "Hi Mum, nice to see you again."

Anne smiled, "You look so much better now, definitely more handsome as well."

She winked and his hand went to his neck in embarrassment, "Mum..."

"Oh hush! Come on inside! Everyone's waiting to meet your beautiful fiancé!"

Harry squeezed Scarlett's hand and led her inside, she was still very nervous and he could tell by how stiff her body language had become.

While his Mum was ahead of them, he stopped her in the hall momentarily, "Is there anything I can do to help you calm down?"

Scarlett shook her head, "No, I used to light a cigarette. It'll pass in a few minutes, your Mum's really nice."

He kissed her cheek again, a toothy grin prominent seconds later, "I love youuu!"

Scarlett flushed, "I love you too. Now lets follow your Mum before she notices."

* * *

"So, when do you want to get married?" Harry asked while they lie in bed cuddling, the warmth radiating from their bodies keeping them comfortable in the cold temperature, and their limbs in a tangled, but comfortable, mess.

Scarlett thought about it for a moment, "Soon but not too soon. And I don't want to make it a big deal either."

He squeezed her hand and kissed her cheek, "We can go to the courthouse if you want, I don't mind too much."

Scarlett shook her head and moved to a slightly more comfortable position, "No, just a small little ceremony is okay. I don't have friends other than you though so it would just be your family and us I suppose."

A soft kiss was placed on her forehead and she smiled as he spoke, "Thats okay, they love you almost as much as I do. Mum especially."

"I still can't believe she's raising money for me when we've just met. It's amazing."

Harry grinned although she couldn't see it and played a small game of footsie with her under the sheets, "That's Mum for you. Believe it or not, she considered you family long before I proposed and before she met you."

A slight silence ensued before Scarlett spoke up again, her fingers messing with his musedly, "I'm glad it was you."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked, perplexed at her statement.

Scarlett scooched closer to him, her eyes falling shut with the onset of sleep, "I'm glad you're the one I fell in love with when I wasn't even looking to fall in love."

Harry smiled and lightly tightened his arms around her, "Me too Scarlett, me too."