Chapter Twenty-Four:

Scarlett

It was strange not taking a trip to see a cancer specialist every month, especially now that she and Harry had actually gotten a real place together. It wasn't the biggest or the prettiest but it was theirs and it was perfect in her eyes.

Harry was constantly surprising her with the little things that he went out of the way to do for her. Just the other week he'd started leaving her little post-it notes around the flat with random little sentiments that always made her smile.

She had been about to read the note he'd left on the mirror when the urge to throw up hit her. Cursing Harry for making her try that disgusting Chinese food last night, she attempted, and failed, to suppress the urge.

Even after brushing her teeth and rinsing with mouthwash the disgusting taste still lingered. She hoped it wasn't a sign of the cancer returning.

Worried that it was, she made an appointment just to make sure. She didn't know how she'd tell him if it was.

"Scarleeetttt! Sweetheart where are you?" Harry called as he returned from work, the front door echoing behind him.

Just the sound of his voice made her smile, "The bedroom!"

Throughout the day she'd thrown up more times than she'd cared to and it simply drained her energy so, she took a lazy day and just kind of sat in bed alternating from reading and watching tv.

His mess of curly hair, which she'd given up on telling him to cut, peaked around the corner and so did a small container that appeared to be filled with cupcakes.

Harry smiled as he gestured to the container, "Mum says it's an extra housewarming gift. Are you alright?"

Scarlett smiled at the gesture, "Ooh she makes good ones too! Yes, I'm alright. I didn't have too great of a morning though, I blame that Chinese food."

Harry laughed lightly before setting the container down and sitting on the bed beside her, "Doubt that or I'd be sick too sweetie."

Harry kissed her forehead just to check, she could have just gotten the bug that had been going around.

"Good news is that you don't have a temperature. Does this mean you want to stay in for dinner again? No Chinese this time, I promise."

His hand found hers and she smiled softly, "Please? We should be typical and just have a pizza and maybe watch a movie?"

"Of course! I'll go put these away and call it in!"

The moment he left she felt bad that she hadn't told him what she thought. But nothing was determined yet so she figured it was okay, right?

* * *

"Well, Mrs. Styles I have good news!" The doctor chirped happily as she entered the obnoxiously small room with Scarlett's manilla file in her hand.

Scarlett twisted her fingers, a nervous habit that was usually quelled by Harry, and sighed in relief.

"Your test results are clear and cancer free! Congratulations because you're also pregnant!"

The breath was cut from her lungs, "What."

She couldn't be pregnant. There was no way.

The woman, whose name she couldn't remember, smiled as she flicked through some pages briefly, " You're six weeks along actually. It would explain the morning sickness you experienced a week ago."

Of course. She felt stupid for not even considering the possibility. But she'd been careful enough and couldn't think of a time she'd slipped up on her birth control.