Chapter Thirty-One:

Scarlett

"Mummy why are we going birfday shopping now?" Ambrose questioned as he tugged at her dress.

Seraphina looked at her mother, curious blue eyes posing the same question as she buttoned up her coat.

The look on Ambrose's face was adorable and she found herself bending down to his level and waving Seraphina over.

Taking each of their smaller hands in hers she smiled softly, "Mummy is sick, really sick, and she wants to make sure you get what you want for your birthday because she might not be there."

Biting back the tears she tried her best to suck it up and remain calm enough so that neither of her children would cry.

Ambrose didn't understand but it was clear that Seraphina was beginning to as his little voice asked, "But you'll get better though. Won't you Mummy?"

Harry had been leaning on the empty door frame In the kitchen, watching and waiting for the moment when she would need him there. She needed to tell them herself and he knew that if he stepped in she would lose it and so, he kept his distance.

Scarlett shook her head, lips pressing tightly together momentarily as a few heavy tears fell free, "No sweetheart, Mummy won't get better. It's the bad kind of sick."

Seraphina had connected the dots and shook her head, already crying, tears falling like rain, "No. No Mum you can't be."

Even at only ten years old she was so smart and it finally hit her that she wouldn't be there to see her little girl grow up and succeed in whatever she wanted to do on her life.

Scarlett let go of Ambrose's hand and the moment she nodded her head Seraphina ran into her arms, burying her face in her shoulder.

"You can't go Mummy. You can't." She hadn't called her Mummy since she was six.

Scarlett held her tightly, tears cascading down her face like waterfalls, "I'm so sorry sweetie. I'm so so sorry."

Tears in his own eyes, Harry entered the room at last, lifting his little boy in his arms and gently wiping his tears away.

"Do you know what Mummy was trying to say Ambrose? Or are you just upset because everyone is crying?" He asked softly, forcing a small smile to hopefully calm him down a little.

His little hands fisted his shirt as he sniffed to clear his nose, "Bofth."

Harry kissed his forehead before explaining the best that he could without deeply upsetting their four-year old son.

"The angels want Mummy back in heaven and they are coming to take her from us soon."

Harry felt his heart breaking as their little boy stuck out his lower lip further, more tiny tears springing free, "But I wuv Mummy. They can't take Mummy."

Harry hugged his small frame closer, "I know, I know. Daddy loves Mummy too, but we can't stop the angels."

Ambrose began to sob, very upset at the unfair taking of his mother, "Are-are you going wifth M-mummy Daddy?"

Harry shook his head, frown becoming more pronounced, "No, Daddy isn't going with Mummy and the angels."

He was failing at keeping it together and he thought he could hold on until Ambrose asked, "Do you want too?"

At this point, there was no use in keeping his actual thoughts to himself, "Yes, I want nothing more than to go with Mummy. But Daddy wants to stay here for you and your big sister too."

Ambrose had turned his attention back to his mother who was desperately trying to calm both Seraphina and herself down, each near hysterical but not quite there yet.

Harry noticed instantly, "Let's go hug Mummy and your big sister little man."

* * *

"Where do you two want to go for your birthday dinners? We can go tonight or whenever you want."

Ambrose, who currently had his fingers in his mouth was the first to speak out with a wide smile, "Sticky Fingers Mummy!"

Scarlett was quick to pick him up and kiss his little nose, "Alright sweetie, that's where we'll go tonight since you spoke first okay?"

His small arms wrapped around her neck as he laughed, "Yay! Thanks Mummy!"

She held him a little closer, smiling at just how adorable he was, "You're welcome sweetie."

Seraphina finally chirped in her opinion once she had set Ambrose down, "Tomorrow can we go to Planet Hollywood?"

Scarlett smiled softly, "Yes of course Seraphina, whatever you want."

* * *

Once they had settled and everything was nearly finished, Harry slipped away from the table pretending to need to use the bathroom but going to the front to speak with the host instead.

Clearing his throat awkwardly he asked, "Excuse me?"

Immediately he was greeted with a cheerful smile that was difficult not to return, "What can I help you with sir?"

Harry's smile wavered quite substantially, "You guys do birthday songs right?"

The man nodded, "Yes we do!"

Harry continued, praying that he wouldn't be told to forget it, "I sort of have a favor to ask involving that. You see that table over there?"

He paused to point to where his family was laughing at something quite happily, and the man nodded, silently telling him to continue.

"Uhm, my wife has so much cancer in her body that she's only got a couple of months left, if even that. And she won't make it to their birthdays, which is why we're here tonight."

Tears were threatening to fall as he forced himself continue, "I was wondering if, maybe, you guys could sing happy birthday for the two of them just so that she can feel like she's been there just one last time?"

Exhaling heavily he anxiously awaited the man's answer as he watched Scarlett interact with their kids.

Choked up, the man answered, "That's the saddest thing I've ever had anyone ask me. Yes. Most definitely yes. What are their names?"

Chuckling softly he answered, "Seraphina and Ambrose, the wife likes unique names."

The man smiled softly, wiping his tears away, "I'll make sure it happens Mr...?"

Harry smiled, a sad smile that showed just how badly he was hurting and just how badly he was trying to hide it, "Styles."

True to his word, a few minutes later he and the entire staff paid a visit to their table with two small cakes with a candle each for the kids.

Ambrose was thrilled, Seraphina equally as happy as she held her mother's hand across the table, Scarlett near tears knowing that somehow Harry had been behind it all.

Harry kissed her cheek and held on to her as much as he could in the small booth, gently wiping a few tears away as he spoke in her ear, "I hope this makes up for it, I knew it was devastating you to know that you'd miss their birthdays."

Scarlett nodded quickly, turning into him the moment the kids had blown out their candles, holding onto him almost desperately, "Thank you so so much."