Cleopatra

Chapter one

Academic excellence. Outstanding results. Diverse community. The big bold words that made Cleopatra's eyes roll to the back of her head. She had been putting off reading her new school's welcome pack for over a month, just the thought made her sigh. A new school is common to make someone nauseous, but not her, her stomach is full with a burning fire towards her Mother, who's choice it was to turn Cleopatra's world upside down and enrol her into the countries finest private school. Some would be delight to have such an opportunity but nobody has a life quite like her.

"Hey sweetheart." A half- drunken middle aged man said approaching the bar which Cleopatra had been familiar with for the duration of summer. She keeps her eyes fixed on the empty space behind the bar. The unsatisfied man progressed to lean closer to the dark haired beauty, desperate for her attention.

"Move one inch closer and you will be picking up your teeth from the floor." She said with no sense of intimidation from the pestering man. He chuckles to himself clearly not taking her threat seriously. She places her second mocktail of the afternoon down on her thick school brochure.

"How about we get out of here and have some fun?" He suggested with a noticeable slur in his speech. He raised his finger to brush her straight hair behind her shoulder but she moved quicker and smashed his head against the dark oak glossed bar top. The impact caused him to lose consciousness, his body slumps on to a stool while the fresh abrasion on his temple bled down his face. She picked her glass up again.

"Don't say I didn't warn you." She said taking a well deserved sip.

The bartender took his places near the drinks and furrowed his brows when he saw the passed out customer, but when he laid his eyes upon Cleopatra he tilted his head no longer wondering the reason for the past out regular. He had observed many situations similar to this as a result of her actions.

Not even five minutes later, the bar door opened. Cleopatra could sense the atmosphere intensify when the walk in arrived. There's few people who can cause such a reaction and she had a pretty good idea who it was.

"Father." She greeted as they take the stool next to hers. Her Father happens to be Hade Valencia. One of the most notorious men in the country, even some parts of the world. His sharp cut features and intimidating attitude got him far. His name is known everywhere, meaning Cleopatra's last name is a deadly weapon. She's his second in command of the Valencia business. Their business is the type where if you mess with them you don't make it out alive.

"What are you doing here Cleopatra?" He asked with a voice stern enough to bring a grown man to his knees.

She took a brief glance at him. "Just having a drink in one of the finest pubs this place has to offer." They both knew that was a lie. This establishment is no palace and she's certainly used to higher class venues.

"Cleo." Her Dad sighed.

"I'm serious." She waved her hand. "Hey, barkeep. Your best whiskey." He nodded and took a glass from the top shelf. Hade tapped on the bar and shook his head once, telling him to stop what he was doing. She rolled her eyes at her Dad's lack of fun.

"Is that your school book?" He asked pointing to the expensive looking brochure.

She gave him a sarcastic smile and replied. "If you mean the hell hole my Mother is sending me to. Then yes, it is."

"Don't talk ill of your Mother." He warned.

She sarcastically gasped. "God forbid I disrespect the future queen. What would she do to me?" Her humour drew a small smirk from her Dad.

Cleopatra had no fear of the next in line to the throne. Seeing as it is her Mother. This is the soul complication of her life. Not only does she have separated parents, but they're complete opposites. She lives a double life. Her royal life known nothing about her dark side, and apart from her small number of friends and brother know anything of her royal side. She's a princess of two worlds, and the aim is for them to never collide.

"You're going to the most prestigious school Asterin has to offer and you aren't the tiniest bit excited?" Her Dad questioned.

"I would be if I were going on my own terms but being kicked out of Arcane kills the buzz."

"You aren't kicked out of Arcane it just isn't safe for you to be over there right now." That excuse is the thing that her Dad had been saying for weeks and allowing no argument back.

This summer wasn't Cleopatra's best period of time. She was hunted in the aim to be killed, they would have been successful if it weren't for somebody taking the hit for her. For now she is banished from her happy place with no other choice but to live in the royal quarters and attend a new school. "Besides, your intelligence is wasted at Cane High." Cleopatra laughed, she would be lying if she said she disagreed. Her high school was hardly a challenge, she had a good chance of graduation early but she'd miss hanging out with her friends if she did that.

"I'm the smartest kid there, but let's see about Asterin academy." Hade slid the book to himself and opened the first page.

"Cleopatra Valence?" He asked after reading whom it was addressed to.

She nodded taking another slurp of her drink. "What did you expect?"

He shrugged. "I assumed your Mother would have put you under her husband's name."

Cleo busted out in laughter. "Don't act like you like Bruce."

He rolled his eyes and called the bartender over, finally ordering the whiskey Cleo encouraged earlier. "I have nothing against the man. As long as he treats my girls right I'll let him live." Cleopatra always noticed how her Dad still referred to her Mum as 'his girl', she knew he never stopped loving her.

"Oh come on. Cleopatra Bennet? I'm not in pride and prejudice."

"Valence isn't that far away from Valencia." He pointed out.

She smirked. "Those trust fund babies won't figure it out, they will be too busy gossiping about the country club drama."

Hade finishes his whiskey without a flinch from the burning liquor. "You need to go home." He told her.

She hopped off her wooden stool and grabbed her leather jacket that was resting beside her. "Okay. I'll follow you back." He held his arm out stopping her from walking out.

"I mean your home." She looked at him with her frustrated face that he had come accustomed to. "Don't make it harder than it needs to be. You love your Mother and the school will be fine. You are a Valencia, you will rule that school by second period." She rolled her eyes but gave in to his speech. He stands from his chair now towering over his daughter. Cleopatra got his strength and attitude but she resembled her Mother's appearance, giving Hade a daily reminder of his past love.

"Fine, but while I'm surrounded by rich kids and nerds, you have to keep my brother in line." Hade heavily sighed thinking off the trouble his son can cause. "Have fun Dad. I wish you luck." She said with a wide smile.

She strutted out the dingy pub to the fresh air and late afternoon sky, setting her eyes upon one of her ultimate loves. Her car. It looked out of place in the outskirts of the city, but the bright side is nobody would picture her here meaning for once no trouble would follow. She sparked the ignition of her sleek black Audi and started her journey back to her royal side.