Trauma under the stars

Chapter thirty seven

"I never thought I'd be star gazing in Asterin." Cleo laughed as she looked at the night sky full of glimmering stars.

Charlie had one more surprise before ending their official date. An empty field with a blanket perfectly set up for the young couple to have time to themselves which has become extremely rare.

"Well I wanted to fit in another mini date to the night. Call it making up for lost time." He said while admiring the sky next to Cleo.

"Except now we don't have time to lose. We shouldn't even be out right now, considering the current threat."

Charlie was surprised by Cleo's sudden nerves; her brave shield is slowly being lowered. "I thought Cleopatra Valencia wasn't scared of anything." He said.

"I'm not scared for myself, I'm scared for you Ivy league. You have no idea what you've got into. Or at least what I've got you into." Cleo said feeling the same disappointment in herself as she did when she read his name on the dead pool.

"I know I'm on the list okay. But this doesn't land on you, even if it did, you gave me enough opportunities to run. It was my choice to stay."

Cleo looked up to see Charlie lit from the moonlight. "Why did you stay?" She asked feeling more vulnerable by the second. Charlie smiled at the wondering girl.

"Because you may not believe it but you are pretty incredible. From the first day I met you I knew you were different. You speak your mind and no matter what you put yourself last. To spend even a minute with you is worth all the danger and risks. I just wish you'd see how amazing you are for yourself." Charlie's words were kind and sentimental, which is something Cleo isn't used to. He's pure and charming and she's from the other side. But it didn't stop her from kissing his lips tenderly. Charlie's heart raced as he cupped her cheek never wanting to let go.

"Thank you." Cleo whispered as she gently pulled away.

"For the kiss? Your lips are always welcome on mine." Charlie joked with a grin.

Cleo smirked. "For not running. I would never blame you if you did but I'm glad you've stuck around."

Charlie glided his finger across her forehead, tucking a strand of her soft hair behind her ear. "I'm not going anywhere." He said lovingly kissing her lips. Cleo smiled wider than ever as she rolled off his chest and rested her head on his open arm. "What is the most important thing to you?" Charlie asked. Cleo looked up at him, processing his random question. "Oh come on, I want to know the small things about you."

Cleo rolled her eyes. "Of course you do." Just as Charlie was going to prod her for her answer she pulled her silver dog tag out from under her shirt. "This." She said with a smile.

"What is it?" Charlie questioned wondering how a small silver tag could be so valuable.

"It's Zeus' chain. He has mine. We made them a few years ago, when Lola became a genius she managed to make them a key to unlock a safe."

"What for?" Charlie asked now total confused.

"Well, as we got older we knew something might happen to us. We wrote each other letters, our final words." It sounds so sad but it gave Cleo a sense of comfort that Zeus would have something to remember her by.

"Why do you wear each-others, shouldn't you wear your own?"

"The thought of taking a necklace off of his cold body is something even I couldn't handle. Last year when I left Arcane my Dad made me swear not to contact anyone, not even Zeus. It was a month until Zeus knew I was still alive."