April

Chapter sixty four

Every mile Cleo got closer the sicker she felt. The phrase never look back, never happens in real life. In a matter of minutes Cleo would be stood in the same dark, cold alley where her friend died in her arms exactly a year ago.

The turning was quickly approaching, the place where Cleo's world began to shatter.

However, Cleo didn't turn. Instead she slammed her hands against her steering wheel in frustration and carried on driving.

"Forgive me April." She whispered.

She took refuge in the spot Kai had shared with her. The train tracks were the groups spot, but this place seemed to feel more peaceful. It had a surprisingly amazing view of everything her world has to offer. Cleo parked her car and jumped to sit on her bonnet, resting against the window screen. She didn't know how long she stayed there, but the night sky was beginning to creep in, dark nights had always given her a strange sense of comfort, she wondered if it was because everything in her life was so dark. A set of headlights driving up the trail wasn't enough for Cleo to snap out of her gaze.

"Thought I'd find you here." A deep voice said as he opened his car door.

"Well, you found me." Cleo replied. She had a feeling Kai would find her, eventually. She wanted to tell him she needed to be alone, but she was learning to know sometimes it's okay to have people around. "What are you doing here?"

Kai narrowed his eyes at her. "This is my place, you're simply invading. I should issue a trespassing ticket." His lame joke did earn him a small Cleo smile. Kai hopped onto his car bonnet, copying Cleo's position. "Clearing your head about Zeus?"

Cleo shook her head. "Do you remember April?" She asked, the more she spoke about her the less it hurt.

Kai racked his brain. "The month, or, the girl who hung around with you last year?"

"The girl you idiot." Cleo chuckled.

Kai smirked, seeing Cleo laugh had become his favourite view. "She was bad behind the wheel, but obsessed with the lifestyle, right?"

Cleo smirked. "That sounds about right."

"This is something about her?" Kai questioned. Getting any emotion out of Cleo had been impossible for years, but suddenly he feels like he's broken a wall down.

"Today marks a year since she died." Cleo said with a heavy sigh.

Kai was lost for words. "Cleo..."

"I was on my way to pay my respect to her, but I bottled it." She said in frustration.

"You're still mourning Cleo. Between this list and Zeus you've hardly had time to breathe, let alone deal with the loss of your friend."

Cleo wanted to feel the comfort his words carried, but she couldn't. "I don't think I'll ever deal with it. She died saving me, stuff like that doesn't just go away."

*Flashback*

The Valencia's had finally cracked it. After being hunted and stalked they finally found a way to come out on top. The team split apart, each following cars Lola had marked. Countless weeks they had been paranoid and on high alert like never before. Nowhere was safe for them anymore. The main target seemed to be Cleo, as she fought more than double the amount of people than everyone else.

"Where are you going?" The newest member of team Valencia asked, as she came down the grand staircase to see everyone rushing around.

"We've got a chance to end this all. Just stay here, where you're safe." Cleo told the nervous girl she had been taking care of for the last few months.