Student rep

Chapter three

The temptation to miss the school's turning and ride all day nearly possessed Cleopatra, until she pictured her Dad's face and how any chance of her getting back to Arcane would slip away.

Her bike stirred up attention from the other students as she rode in. She sped to the other end of the huge car park. Every column she rode down had high end vehicles occupying the spaces. They were all predictable cars. The pricey Mercedes', the flashy Roll-Royce's and no surprise, Bentley's. She groaned to herself when she figured there was no designated parking for motorbikes in this place. If there wasn't a space she would just have to make one. An opening gap was at the front so she took it. Heads turned when the mysterious rider kicked the kickstand and took the helmet off, shaking her head making her hair fly in the wind. A sharp whistle aimed at Cleopatra made her smirk. She was going to be the girl boys fell in love with and the girl who would be hated by the other girls for it.

The school's main hall definitely made an impression. The type that the education board love. Glass displays full of trophies and ribbons. She took a quick glance as she walked through. Hundreds of eyes were on her as she past but she'd been used to being noticed, at least that hasn't changed. The clear instructions from her Mum reminded her that she was to report to the office and attend a meeting with the head master. She could practically feel the boredom already. The block sign saying 'Front office' made it a whole lot easier to start the day.

People were rushing all around the general area as she stepped in. For somewhere so formal there seemed to be a lack of organisation. Cleo questioned whether she would be missed if she just left, they were pretty busy the probability of sneaking out was looking appealing. "You must be our new student." A perky mousey brown haired woman dressed in a grey skirt suit said. Cleo held back a sarcastic comment at her stating the obvious as even her low tolerance could see she was just being friendly.

"Cleopatra Valance." Cleo replied.

The woman smiled flashing her pearly teeth. "Pleasure to meet you. Let me be the first to welcome you to Asterin academy. I am Mrs Lane. I work in the front office everyday so if you ever need me you will find me here." Cleo nodded wondering when the head master would make their appearance. "Unfortunately, Head master Lawton has been pulled away for a meeting so he is unable to see you." In Cleo's opinion there was no misfortune in that news. "However." Oh great, she thought. "I have your schedule and a student rep should be here any minute to give you a tour and help you navigate to your classes." She leaned over her desk she previously scurried from and fetched a few pieces of paper.

"There is no need for a tour. I'll be fine finding my way around." Cleo said. Mrs lane's face showed her amusement.

"My dear this place is very big. It will make it a lot easier if someone helped you, at least for your first day." Playing nice was something Cleo was going to find challenging but her game plan was keep her head down and make it through the day.

"Okay." She smiled. "But I think I'll find my locker first, I'd prefer to get this off my hands." The shock of the woman's face when she saw the helmet filled Cleo with delight, people often showed horror at her transport choice, especially these kind of people. Without much more delay she directed Cleo to her locker and informed her that her student rep would be over soon. She couldn't care less if they arrived or not, this school looks pretty simple to work out.

Cleo half expected an over the top welcome surprise in her locker but to her relief there was nothing there. Her helmet fit like a glove and there was still so much room for her books, that was an improvement from her old school, Zeus' locker used to be full of her stuff too. A person stopped at the other side of the metal door. She sighed preparing for the stuck up brat who had been assigned to show off the school. "I take it you're the student rep?" She said before closing her locker. The boy behind it stood tall with a smirk. Cleo certainly had not envisioned a private school boy to look as edgy as him. He wasn't preppy, he still looked as if he belonged here but he was different from the rest. Black skinny jeans instead of the tanned khaki trousers, black high top converse instead of leather dress shoes. Although, the crisp blazer let him down in her standard of customisation.

"I am a student rep. But unless your name is George I doubt I'm yours." He replied with a charmingly deep voice. It was very rare that Cleo slipped up, and for him to counter her assumption with sarcasm was something she respected, but it didn't feel too good being on the over side. "But while I'm here. You got a name newbie?"

"Cleopatra." She stated with her usual confidence.

"Nice to meet you Cleo. I'm Charlie." He extended his hand out for her to shake. However, she narrowed her eyes. "Cleo is for my friends. You call me Cleopatra."

He laughed still holding his hand out. "In that case. I'm Charles." Cleo smirked and finally shook his hand.

"Charles has to be the most stereotypically posh name around." She laughed.

He shook his head now leaning on the lockers. "Trust me, you and I have got the most mainstream ones compared to the rest."

Her amusement vanished. "I don't do the whole trust thing and you definitely shouldn't put us in the same category as you."

He then glared at her, she saw the spark of interest in his chestnut brown eyes. He had undoubtable used his charming stare to get what he wanted on more than one occasion , but Cleopatra wouldn't fall for that. "What makes you so different?" He questioned.

"You'll see." She replied. Charlie shook his head laughing with his new playful frustration towards Cleo.

Charlie had spent the last two years at this school, but he was yet to find someone to make the place entertaining. He was a good student, mostly good grades and a shot of being the top of the class. But that was all before last year. It being the most devastating time of his life he kept to his own company and let things slip. He would never discuss what quite happened, but all anyone knew was he'd lost half of who he is. Something about this year felt different, being called out by the new girl sure gave him a flicker of the fire he was looking for.

Another boy rushed over to the two new acquaintances during their back and forth banter. Now this is what Cleo expected. A perfectly dressed and on the geeky side student. His blazer displayed his many badges and his bag was almost bigger than him, he must be taking every class this place has to offer. He was pretty much opposite to Charlie and Cleo suddenly felt favourable to Charlie.

"Hello, sorry I'm late you must be Cleopatra. My name is Oliver, I'll be your student rep." He had certainly introduced himself in the most efficient way. His obvious nerves and panic made him more likeable to Cleo. His tone was timid compared to Charlie's confident one. He would stick out like a sore thumb at Arcane but Cleo didn't entirely write him off.

"You can call me Cleo." She said with a warm smile. Charlie's reaction was just what she had hoped for. He tutted and let out a small chuckle. The bell rang making the hall full of people disperse.

"That's your cue Ivy league." Cleo said to Charlie.

He raised his eyebrows at his new nick name. Cleo viewed everyone here as the future college kids that actually cared about their education and not just the booze and partying. "Excuse me." Charlie responded.

"You have a student to annoy, and Oli and I have some bonding to do." She said with a smug smile. Charlie shook his head as he laughed, he saluted and strolled around the corner leaving Cleo and Oliver to it.

"So, we should start with your homeroom."

"Let me stop you there." Cleo said shutting Oliver down. "I'm perfectly capable of finding my own way around. Besides, you look like you can't afford to miss any lesson time running after me."

He shrugged with a nervous laugh. "It's my job."

"Then class it as complete. I'll see you around Oli." There was no opportunity to stop her as she walked down the opposite hall quicker than he could to pluck up the courage to shout her back.