Ninety nine

Chapter five

It was nearly the first week complete and Cleo couldn't be more relieved. She started as the outcast in every class. Charlie seemed to plant himself in every possible scenario involving her. They had many mutual classes including the one they are currently in. English!

"Settle down!" Miss Cooper ordered as the class chatter was taking over lesson time. "I have your tests back." That's a change Cleo thought. Teachers took at least a couple weeks at Arcane high to grade a paper. The playful atmosphere in the room was suddenly nowhere to be seen, taken by those few simple words. She slowly walked down placing the papers on desks. Cleo had little to fear, she was more than confident, and she had every right to be when her paper was returned to her. "Good job." Miss Cooper congratulated. Cleo looked down to see a 99 in red circled at the top. A small pang of frustration hit when she saw, her score was more than impressive but she had always been top and no doubt this room was full of perfect scores. She prepared herself for the smug celebration her neighbour would be having, but when she turned to Charlie satisfaction was far from his face. He sighed and covered his score with his book.

"That bad?" Cleo asked. There were multiple jokes she had ready to fire his way but her humanity kicked in.

He shrugged. "You win some you lose some."

She raised her eyebrows shocked by this casual manner. "Either you did horribly or you're a good bluffer and got a full house."

He pulled his paper out from its hiding spot. "Afraid not." He replied showing his score of 85.

Cleo hissed at his result. "Wow Ivy league, that's got to burn." He perked up in his chair as if he had the biggest epiphany. Just as Charlie's mouth opened Miss Cooper called for her classes attention. "You better listen, seems like you can use all the help." Cleo smirked.

The hour moved along smoothly, the tasks were becoming more challenging but Cleo liked exercising her mind. They finished with a homework assignment.

"I want you to write about a significant thing in your life. Whether it be a place, a person or a mix. And for those who want to really impress me, include a valuable lesson or teaching moment it has given you." Cleo's mind went straight to Arcane. Her happiest times, her favourite people and where she'd grown as a person all happened there. Her withdrawal from there was harder than she expected. Arcane is like gravity, everything gets pulled to it, and not even Cleopatra Valencia can fight a force like that.

The bell rang making the class eager to leave, with a nod from Miss Cooper they gathered their belongings and started their commute out.

"I was thinking." A voice said hot behind Cleo. She recognised it to be Charlie, he'd been around enough to be identified just by his breathing pattern.

"I would say that is dangerous, but with an 85. I think we're safe." Cleo smirked as she unlocked her locker.

Charlie mocked her insult. "We should study together."

"And how did you get to that idea?" Cleo laughed stacking her books.

"You got a 99, meaning you're 1 off. I could be that 1 percent."

She rolled her eyes. "More like I'm the 15 percent you need." He tilted his head partially agreeing.

"I still think it's a good idea. Besides, you own me for walking you to most of your classes."

Cleo turned to look at him. "You mean our mutual classes that you happen to latch onto me like a hawk?"

"Come on. It will be fun." He urged.