Doorstep

Chapter twenty five

"So he pulled you into a class room? Aren't some people really into the whole school hook up thing?" Lola asked Cleo while she worked away.

"Maybe, but he was about five seconds away from having a blade to the heart." Cleo said as she drove to her Mother's fortress.

"And kill your own boyfriend? how tragic." Lola gasped.

Cleo rolled her eyes despite the fact she cannot see it. "Charlie is not my boyfriend and we weren't hooking up for your information."

"Well I assume he didn't want to borrow your homework."

"He just wanted to study later."

Lola laughed at Cleo's usual naive insight, however, Cleo was far from being unaware of the situation she just chose to view it as more causal than it is. "Is that what kids are calling it nowadays?" Lola laughed.

"How can you act like a child and also a middle aged wise woman at the same time?" Cleo questioned taking another turn closer to her dreadful meeting with Madeline.

"It's a natural talent." She laughed.

"Speaking of talent how has the research progressing?"

Lola sighed heavily, never has she ever felt such immense pressure solely on herself. "Slow, but it would be a lot easier if I didn't have Zeus and Jax breathing down my neck."

Cleo felt for her, she couldn't distract them like she usually could, just another reason for her desire to be back. "Want me to hit them back into shape? I'm sure I can scare them into leaving you alone."

Lola laughed. "I should be fine but I did certainly take you for granted."

"Hey L, how are you doing with being on the dead pool?" Cleo asked taking the conversation to a darker place. Lola had never been so deep into the cross fire, she was the tech genius that could hold her own but being hunted is a whole new situation.

"Honestly, I'm trying not to think about it. The list is growing rapidly so I'm hoping we get over taken. But, I know as long as I'm with you guys I'll be fine. No matter how this ends."

"We'll get through this L. I know it." They both knew Cleo couldn't guarantee their safety but a positive mind will do for now. "I'm pulling in now." Cleo said with a deep sigh.

"Good luck with Madeline." Cleo thanked her before hanging up.

***

The palace seems to get bigger and grander every time Cleo visits, reminding her of how much she's an outsider.

"Cleopatra." Madeline's voice called stronger than the other times Cleo has arrived. Cleo took a deep breath and stepping into the giant lounge she's familiar with.

"Mother." Cleo replied with a friendly smile.

"Come sit, it has been a while." Madeline said matching Cleo's friendly approach.

Cleo followed her command and perched onto the patterned sofa. "I wouldn't call a few weeks a while." Cleo answered.

Madeline tilted. "Well seeing as your residence is only a few minutes away from here I would call it a while, unless of course you haven't been in Asterin."

That was the conformation Cleo needed that her Mother wasn't as clueless as she thought. "What are you hinting at?"

Madeline shook her head. "I'm not hinting at anything, I'm just curious as to why you've been skipping school."