Accomplice

Chapter seventy four

"Out of everywhere why did it have to be there?" Cleo sighed, joining Kai on the car bonnet.

"They're trying to mess with you. They're banking on your trauma to throw you off." Zeus replied, as he tended to Kai's shoulder.

The address was the same spot April died. It proved Cleo's suspicion of them being behind the whole thing, they were responsible for her death.

"But you've got us." Kai said, throwing his free arm around her shoulder and kissing the top of her head. He'd seen the rollercoaster of emotion she had endured in such a short duration. Cleo felt on top of the world when she found out Kai's true feelings, but it dampened quicker than he thought was possible. He couldn't quite believe that she was still standing. She was a walking victim, taking all kind of hits and yet Cleo carries on as if it's a normal day. It's now he realised that being a Valencia wasn't all so easy, they received respect because they were more than worthy.

"I better rally the troupes." Cleo huffed, pushing herself off the car and pulling her phone out.

It didn't take long for her family to arrive. They had been dealing with a few loose ends themselves. Madeline sprinted over, embracing her daughter the second they were close enough. Cleo stumbled back from the impact but gladly excepted her loving hold. The others shot her a wink or a nod and walked to the two missing pieces of the puzzle.

"At least he didn't train as hard as you." Jax said to Kai as he bent down for a better look at his shoulder. "He's sloppy." It had a hidden compliment within the bash at Charlie.

"Well, he wasn't really gunning for him. Kai here, decided to play the hero and saved me." Zeus admitted, he wouldn't steal the glory for such a selfless act.

Hade stepped forward and offered Kai a hand. "Thank you." He said, giving his assistance to help Kai stand. Kai nodded, not wanting to seek attention over something he believed to be minor.

"We have just under an hour." Lola announced, checking her watch. They were only minutes away from finding out who was responsible for making their lives a living hell for over a year. Cleo returned to her car and drove her and Kai to the set location. She led the way, to who knows what.

"Park either side." Cleo said through the radio. They followed her command, without pleasure. There was method to Cleo's madness, but they rarely enjoyed it of recent.

The call mentioned nothing about her bringing her crew, she had to face this alone. She pulled the green beauty in the centre of the alley facing the road. The gut retching feeling she felt the last time she was here eased, visiting April on the anniversary seemed to have given her more peace than she expected.

The crew took the small window of time to figure out a last resort, but Cleo found herself leaning on her Skyline, alone.

"How you doing?" Zeus asked, no longer being able to leave her alone.

Cleo smirked. "I've seen better days." She replied.

Zeus chuckled. "Tell me about it. It's not every-day your sister's boyfriend takes a bullet for you." The two siblings shared a laugh, it felt like a small dose of paradise to them.

"It was his eyes, wasn't it?" Zeus asked, taking Cleo by surprise. She sighed, he read her like a book.

"They were like hers. I can't believe I never noticed. I was so blind." She rubbed her forehead in frustration. Never had she ever felt so stupid.

"I recognised them when he was angry. Our little run away had the same piercing colour, especially when her temper was tested." Zeus quietly laughed, remembering the times April would get annoyed and narrow her bright eyes.

"I never hesitate. Something just didn't feel right."

Zeus sighed and shifted closer to his sister. "You have your reasons Cleo. We can always fix things, but we can't change the past." His wise words made Cleo question if his near death experience made him more spiritual. She raised her eyebrows at him while he narrowed his. "Stop looking at me like I've never said anything useful before." Cleo chuckled, and wrapped her arms around him.

The distant sound of cars echoed through the quiet street, interrupting the siblings conversation. "Looks like it's go time." Cleo said, feeling her heart pound.

"We're right around the corner." Zeus told her, feeling the most nervous he'd ever been. "I believe in you." He said just before he joined the darkness.

Cleo took a deep breath and stood strong and tall, between her headlights that lit the alley. It felt like a dreadful taste of déjà vu. She took a quick glance at April's spot just before a SUV pulled up, blocking the front exit.

A pair of black men's dress shoes stepped from the car door, landing on the road. The few seconds before he came into sight felt like hours. The first glance Cleo caught made her heart drop. Mr. Priestly!

"Fuck." Cleo muttered to herself. Kai was right, Charlie's dad was behind this all along.

"Miss Valencia. We meet again." He said in a chillingly humoured manner, Cleo wanted to kill him right there but she would never get the answers they all deserved.

"Are you here to finish what your son started?" Cleo asked with a threatening tone. Mr Priestly chuckled. His fresh suit and polish shoes clearly showed he'd never gotten his hands dirty.

"I'll admit, Charles played an important role, but he was always the weakest link. His sister on the other hand, she was a fighter. But you know all about that." Cleo couldn't believe the way he spoke so ill of his son. Charlie sounded as if he were nothing but an employee to him.

Cleo scoffed. "Your daughter was never treated the way she deserved by you. You killed her a long time before she died." She expected him to fight back, but a silence lingered. "That's why you killed her right? Because she finally found happiness that you couldn't control." If he was in charge that meant he was responsible for April's murder.

The smart man chuckled at her words, Cleo was thrown by his reaction. "The young and naïve." He paused, with a terrifying grin. "This operation is much bigger than you and me. I'd love to take credit, but I'm merely her accomplice."

"Who's accomplice?" Cleo asked with a demanding urge. There was a master mind, and it wasn't him. He raised his finger when a car door was slammed, Cleo hadn't even heard a car approach.

"Hello, Cleopatra." A women greeted. Cleo's breath hitched when she saw who it was. She recognised her from photos. Her dark skin, naturally curly hair and scarred hand was a clear give away who they were facing. Cleo was so stunned she didn't react quick enough to tell her family to stay back.

"Rosalind?"