Face the music

Chapter forty

"Here she is!" Zeus cheered as Cleo walked into the Valencia house. Cleo held back her laughter at her goofy brother.

"How bad was the punishment?" Lola asked.

"Two week suspension." Hade said as he walked behind his daughter.

Zeus threw his arms in the air in disbelief. "For a fight? They should see our school."

"Yeah, it's a good day if someone doesn't leave with a black eye." Jax smirked.

"It's a cruel world over in Asterin." Cleo said as she headed to the kitchen. "Besides, I wasn't in trouble because of the fight. They caught me pinning the bitch of the school to the lockers by her neck." She explained. Lola slapped her hand on her mouth in shock, she did the same to Jax when he began to laugh. There was no stopping Zeus who held his hand out for a high five.

"Hell yeah! Screw the mean girls." Zeus shouted. Cleo rolled her eyes but slapped his hand.

"I'm just glad Isabella's okay. The last thing I need is my Mum blaming the death of her perfect private school girl on me, the Arcane wild child." Cleo believed that reasoning. Years ago it used to be Madeline and Cleo, now it seems Isabella is more alike to her. Deep down she knows a big reason she despises Asterin is because she can never be who her Mother wants her to be. Cleo is Arcane through and through.

"Well your Mother might not blame you, but she does want to see you." Hade said standing behind Cleo. The room fell silent. The thought of facing Madeline when she'd been suspended made a shiver run down Cleo's spine.

"Hey Dad, you know I'm your favourite child." Cleo smiled while slowly turning around. Cleo's cute act worked in a lot of occasions, especially her Dad, but not this time.

Hade tilted his head with a smile. "There's not a chance I'm taking the heat for this. You need to face your Mother on your own." Cleo rolled her eyes at her Dad's reply, but she didn't blame him.

"Doing the right thing really sucks. I should have left her." Cleo sighed.

"Are we really just going to ignore that you didn't shut Cleo's theory of being the favourite child down?" Zeus objected staring at Hade.

Hade rolled his dark eyes at Zeus' annoyance. "You're my favourite son, and Cleo is my favourite daughter. Happy?" Hade asked knowing even they couldn't argue. Zeus shrugged his shoulders at his Dad's reply. "Now you, baby Valencia need to face the music." He kissed the top of Cleo's head and walked out the kitchen.

"Why are you staring at me?" Cleo asked as her three best friends all had an intense stare at her.

"This might be the last time we see you." Jax replied. Cleo reached for a water bottle on the kitchen island and threw it at him. Madeline was known for her feist, it's where Cleo gets it from. For all they know Cleo could be locked up as soon as she arrives at the palace.

"I hate you all." She groaned as she turned her back.

"We'll see you for your birthday meal." Lola shouted as Cleo wrapped her hand around the door handle. Cleo paused, her birthday meal, she had once again forgotten. She may receive a punishment from her Mother but there is no way she's missing her family night, this is an Arcane thing, Hade makes the rules around here.

~~~

Dread riddled Cleo's body as she drove to the palace. She knew she needed some sort of explanation, but the real reason, the Deadpool was the last resort.

"Here we go." Cleo sighed as she parked in the enclosed garage of the large residence.

The walk felt like an eternity, but as usual Cleo greeted the staff and made her way into the main room. Her fate lied upon what was behind those doors. She knocked confidently and after a small sound of silence, Madeline's voice commanded her in.