A stand in

Chapter forty six

Zeus pulled into the grand hotel's entrance. None of the Valencia's had been her before but had become very familiar with the floor plans as they prepared for their mission. There were two entrances for cars, while the others were driving down the long path to the valet parking they took the other turn. Zeus and Cleo lead the three cars down the slim second entrance leading to a private garage. Charlie left it open for them prior to their arrival. The sleek vehicles parked next to the one belonging to a certain team member.

"About time." Kai said leant against his car. Cleo rolled her eyes as heard his voice. When she planted her dangerously high heels onto the floor Kai's pupils dilated. When her full body was out he was so stunned he could faint, Cleo was a work of art.

"It's unlike you to be on time." Cleo said as she stood tall in front of him, Kai still had height advantage on her but now they were in even more tempting height as their lips were closer.

"If it's important, I turn up." He stated.

"Good." Cleo said bluntly. Lola called her name and handed her their ear pieces that they rely on to keep communication going. Cleo took two pieces. Hers, and Kai's. He raised his eyebrows in surprise when Cleo handed him his.

"I get one?" He questioned in disbelief.

Cleo laughed as she flipped her perfect hair behind her should to adjust her own. "Your team Valencia, aren't you?" Kai laughed and took the tiny gadget from her. Cleo watched as he struggled to fix it right.

"Come here." Cleo said as she grew frustrated from his struggle. She stepped even closer, Kai's hands found her waist, his reaction wasn't approved by his better judgement but Cleo didn't push him off, in fact his familiar grip gave Cleo a source of comfort. She could smell his aftershave as she fitted the back, it was intoxicating in a good way.

"I'm shocked your Hade let you out like this." He said to Cleo.

She took her attention away from her task to glare at him. "Why?"

"Because you look so stunning I know every male in there will do anything to get your attention." He said in a low tone. "Including me." He whispered looking straight into her eyes, Cleo's breath was sucked out of her. Kai's words made it a near impossible task to resist, but she knew she couldn't think of him in the way she was. Her heart was beating out of her chest when she saw him standing in a tux and now she was fighting the urge to kiss his sweet forbidden lips. Suddenly, a loud intolerable static rang through the ear pieces making everyone cringe.

"Sorry." Lola apologised as she messed with the small box connecting the circuit.

"Maybe I was dodging a bullet before." Kai said as he held his ear.

Cleo smirked. Her hands straightened his tie, a smile rose to Kai's face as he admired the kind act the beautiful girl was doing. "Nice tux by the way, it's really masking the Arcane look." Cleo smirked, she secretly liked his style but Kai wouldn't be caught dead in a tux in Arcane. His signature is a leather jacket and jeans.

He mocked her smirk. "The boys were right about their tailor, he's pretty incredible."

"Yeah, well a good suit is always appreciated by the ladies." She joked thinking of all the times Zeus bragged about impressing girls with his attire.

"Well is it doing the job?" Kai asked with a cheeky smirk.

Cleo sarcastically smiled. "Not a chance." She lied, it was working and it terrified her.

"What's with the new bling?" Kai asked referring to Cleo's new necklace. "A gift from the rich kid?" He questioned, he recognised Cleo's facial expression, she was restraining from causing an argument.

"Yes, what's it to you?" She asked with a bitterness.

Kai shrugged. "It's just not very you that's all."

Cleo sighed. "Well maybe it is now." She said confidently.

Cleo and Kai joined the crew as they gathered around. "We all know what we're doing. Stick to the plan or go with your gut, I trust your judgment. Now let's go catch these bastards!" Cleo said to her family with a mischievous smirk. Just like that they felt ready as ever.

They left the garage without a hitch and filtered back into a crowd of fellow attendants of the gala. The hotel was astronomical, Cleo knew Charlie's family had money but this place nearly put Madeline's palace to shame. The floor plans really didn't do the size justice, thankfully everyone's fitness was at an all time high. The large and steep outside staircase was quickly approaching, ladies in long dresses all colours and materials held their trails exposing their designer shoes and holding onto their escorts arm for support. Naturally Jax held his arm for Lola which she took while blushing, she adored his gentlemanly acts.

"May I?" Kai asked Cleo with his arm ready for her to grip to. She was fully intending to walk alone, but to her surprise she didn't decline. Cleo's arm linked with Kai's strong one.

"I expected you to push me so thank you Malakai." Cleo said as they reached the top.

Kai smirked. "Well seeing as your almost boyfriend is about to steal you from me I wanted to keep you looking perfect." He replied as they walked through the grand entrance that the doorman was welcoming them. Just as Kai suspected Charlie was straight over to Cleo like a lost puppy. His reaction was similar to his when he laid his eyes upon Cleo. A pit of jealousy hit Kai's stomach as Cleo left him go and walk to Charlie. For only a few seconds it felt as if Cleo was his, in reality he was merely a stand in.

"You look incredible." Charlie said to Cleo with wide eyes. Since the start of the evening he'd seen countless gowns and women but nothing came close to Cleo, she was perfect.

"Why thank you Ivy league." Cleo said with a smile. Her nerves curved by only being with him for two seconds. "How packed is it?" She questioned, trying to keep her head in the game.

"Well considering our future queen Madeline is attending people were here ridiculously early, as they should." This was not news to Cleo. The Valencia's knew Madeline's arrival time but Charlie and Kai were still in the dark about Cleo's relation to her. Cleo is the secret princess and that's the way she's always wanted it.

"And everyone here is on the guest list?"

Charlie nodded. "Our security are our top guys, they won't let unwelcome guests in."

"I wouldn't be so confident." Zeus said, butting into their private conversation he was obviously listening to. "If these guys want to kill us they'll find a way in."

"He's right." Jax nodded. "Just by looking around I can see about three ways to get in." Jax has always been slick, his exterior is misleading, his brain works in mysterious ways because he's easily one of the smartest people Cleo has ever met.

"That being said. Cleo, lead the way." Hade announced assertively capturing everyone's attention.