When you're angry

Chapter forty one

Cleo stood watching Kai peacefully sleep on her sofa. They hadn't seen much of each other in the last few days, even though she was suspended Cleo had plenty to do, and Kai seemed to have kept himself busy. A part of Cleo missed Kai, she was growing to enjoy his company (in small doses.) She hadn't mentioned the night of her date and how she found the dinner he had saved for her, Cleo couldn't deal with a shift of atmosphere in her hideout. She snapped out of her trance of the oddly mesmerizing view of the sleepy messy haired brunette.

"Wake up Malakai." Cleo shouted, throwing a pillow at him, it made Kai flinch and groan. She smiled as she walked into her kitchen.

"I guess torture starts at six am now." Kai complained, sitting up on the sofa he noticed Cleo in workout clothes instead of her uniform.

"Believe me, if I was torturing you. You'd know about it." Cleo smirked sipping her freshly brewed coffee. Kai stretched his body which had become noticeably more toned since he started working with Cleo. Lola informed Cleo that Kai had been getting extra attention from the Arcane girls, something about that made Cleo annoyed.

"Cleo!" Kai snapped now standing in front of her. She returned from reality and away from Kai's body. "A bit casual for Asterin isn't it?" Kai asked looking her up and down with a smirk.

"Didn't you hear? I'm the first student in twenty years to be suspended from Asterin academy." Cleo said in a rather proud manner.

Kai raised his eyebrows. "Twenty years? Someone stole your thunder."

Cleo shrugged, resting on her kitchen counter. "Probably an ancestor of mine."

Kai laughed and leaned closer to her, the air was sucked from Cleo's lungs as she felt his breath on her bare skin. She furrowed her brows as he pulled back. "You were in my way." He said in a husky tone, she had never been so close to his morning voice, but she suddenly wanted to be near it more often.

"My house, my coffee." She replied with a sarcastic smirk. "Now get changed, we're training."

~~~

"Five rounds Malakai, make them count." Cleo said as she pushed a loaded pistol to his chest. Kai smirked taking possession of the weapon, his fingers brushed hers and the spark he felt only days ago returned. Cleo swallowed a lump in her throat and backed away, waiting for her prodigy to take to the gun range.

Kai rolled his shoulders back, loosening his muscles and stepped into the zone. He raised his gun to the target. Everything he'd learned over the months had been drilled into his mind, his Dad never taught him how to properly shoot, but now Kai stands a fighting chance. "I don't have all day." Cleo complained as her patience began wearing thin. Kai bit back his sarcastic reply, instead he pulled the trigger. Cleo couldn't believe her eyes when she watched the target, Kai had perfect aim. When the cylinder was empty Kai lowered the gun with a small proud smile. "I'm pleasantly surprised Malakai." Cleo said, she never thought those words would leave her mouth regarding Kai West.

His mouth curled to a smirk as he faced the brunette. "Impressed?" He asked.

Cleo narrowed her eyes. "Let's not push it." She said and strutted past him. He laughed to himself as he watched her leave to the other training room. The new feeling of pride made him feel as if those early morning starts and intense hours were worth it, for even just a minute of Cleo's respect.

~~~

"Quicker!" Cleo shouted as Kai's fists collided with the leather punching bag. He had improved rapidly since she last trained with him, it gave her a greater confidence that maybe she won't have to worry about him killing himself. However, if he could improve this much in a matter of weeks he has the ability to become even stronger. "Come on Malakai, hit like you want it." Kai growled at her shouting. Just like Kai knew Cleo raced better when she was angry, she knew Kai became more lethal when he was angry. Her demands and insults rose his frustrations, enough for her to smile, he was finally learning. Cleo stopped the beaten bag, Kai looked at her with dark eyes.

"What are you doing?" He asked, agitated by her action.

"Seeing what you're really made of." She said, turning away she reached for her training bag to start wrapping her hands.

Cleo pulled her hoodie over her head and clicked her head ready to take Kai on. The familiar scars graced Kai as she stood in her sports bra. The same pang of sadness came over him. She nodded for him to approach the large open space for them to begin. She waited for Kai to throw the first punch, which he did, and missed. Cleo dodged it with ease and countered with a jab, not enough to do serious harm but the right amount to wake him up. "I told you to be quicker." She said while keeping light on her toes.

"I haven't fought in a while, especially not a girl." He replied already becoming frustrated. Kai swung again but Cleo ducked making him sigh.

"Girls can do more damage." She replied hitting him multiple times. He coughed in attempts to catch his breath.

"Shouldn't you be battering Charlie? He's the reason we're going to this stupid gala." Kai spat.

Cleo paused and narrowed her eyes. "Charlie isn't the reason. There people I care about there too."

"Like you Mum?" He questioned. "Who even is she?"

His sudden burst of arrogance reminded Cleo of Kai's old ways. "It's none of your business." She growled, punching his cheek, his head fell with the punch. Cleo thought he would surrender but he huffed and regained his stance.

"Everything has to be a mystery with you. You act like you're above us all. Rich boyfriend, secret second family. But you're still as low as us Arcane kids." Kai said in a harsh tone. Cleo saw red, his words caused both hurt and anger, a combination she hadn't felt in a long time. There was very little mercy left in her body. Just as she was about to lash out her mind reminded her of the gala Kai so graciously brought up, if he looked bad he wouldn't be allowed in. So instead of giving him what he deserved, she punched his mouth, splitting his lip. He groaned and held his hand over the cut, the metallic taste filled his taste buds reminded Kai of the beatings he received from his Dad. The part of his life Cleo had helped him escape for the last few weeks.

Cleo turned away, leaving Kai to be dramatic. His words struck cords with Cleo, but for some reason she had a gut feeling that he didn't truly believe what he was saying. Just like the old times, he does everything for a rise.

"You dropped this." Kai told Cleo. She looked to see Kai holding her silver dog tag. She snatched it from his hands immediately. "It says Zeus." He said as she took it.

"I'm aware." She replied. There wasn't a chance in hell Cleo would tell Kai the importance of the necklace, he would probably find a way to use it against her someday. As she walked through the door Kai said one final thing.

"You fight better when you're angry."