Visitors

Chapter six

Just on the dot Cleo arrived at her Mother's house. It had been quite some time since they sat down for a meal together. Arcane was the last time they had a 'family' meal and that was nearly six years, just long enough for Madeline to start having family meals with her new one.

"Cleopatra, right on time." Madeline said as Cleo peered into the room. The absence of the two members of her step family became apparent as she walked in.

"Just the two of us?" Cleo questioned.

Madeline shook her head. "Only for the start, I thought we could catch up." That was new and almost unsettling. "Take your jacket off and sit." One of the members of staff already tried taking her leather jacket but Cleo didn't want a lecture on how carrying throwing stars is inappropriate. Madeline noticed her hesitation and narrowed her eyes at her daughter. "You have twenty seconds to hide whatever you don't want me seeing." Cleo gave her a strong nod and progressed to slide the leather strap carrying her blades further up her arm where it isn't exposed. It is not a new thing for her Mum to see, but Isabella and her step father don't truly know Cleo's other world, they know the Valencia name, but so does everyone.

"Okay, done." She announced relieving her Mum of the temporary blindness.

"So, how is school?" Madeline asked taking a seat at the head of the table. Cleo took a seat on the side.

"Average. The classes are fine but the people are kind of..."

"Stuck up?" Madeline finished. Cleo looked at her stunned. "Believe me, I've had to meet a lot of their parents and their kids are just mini versions of them. You've done well to get this far." Cleo never expected her Mum to be so honest, being the future queen, she is supposed to speak highly of her people. "How is your brother?" Madeline asked. The shift in conversation put Cleo in unknown territory. She didn't have much to report which is unusual.

"Sorry I am late." The residents most annoying person said upon entry. Isabella's newly made up face and fresh pressed outfit made Cleo cringe at how opposite they are, she's bright and colourful and Cleo is a solid piercing colour kind of girl, greens, reds and blacks.

"You aren't late Issy, I was just asking Cleo about her bother." Every word that was to come out of Cleo's mouth now felt like it had to be filtered.

"Aww, yes. How are the famous Arcane gang?" Isabella asked sarcastically as she sat down. Cleo burnt holes into her poisonous step-sister.

"They're good. Jax is staying out of trouble, Zeus is definitely more involved in his future business. And Lola, well Lola is still as switched on as ever. I seriously think she's going to take over the world one day."

"Unlikely." Isabella muttered from across the table. Her sly comment turned Cleo's smile into a tight lipped frown.

"Remember who you're talking to." Cleo bit back to the rude in law.

Madeline jumped in once again diffusing the ticking time bomb between them. "Girls! None of this. We're sharing a nice dinner together, let's not spoil it"

Waiters entered the room with plates and dishes filling the dining table, this was very over kill in Cleo's opinion but it was the lifestyle Isabella and Madeline are accustomed to. Someone informed Madeline that her husband had to have an urgent business call and therefore would be unable to dine with them. This results in leaving the three women together, Cleo thought it was a recipe for disaster, and if Bruce could get out of the meal she should be able to as well.

"So, Issy how is school going?" Madeline asks.

"Not as interesting as Cleopatra's. She put on quite a show in the upper school cafeteria." Cleo never wanted a bratty younger sister for this exact reason, they do anything in their power to drop the other in trouble. Madeline turned her attention to her biological daughter.