The track

Chapter thirty eight

"I thought I'd find you here." Cleo said as she carefully stepped one foot in front of the other on the edge of the train track ledge.

"I did find this spot remember." Zeus replied not turning his head, he was fixed on the high view of the city.

"How could I forget. You were so excited about it." Cleo smirked reminiscing on the day Zeus climbed one of the pillars supporting the track and dragging everyone along deeming it 'their spot' "Can I?" She asked pointing to the empty space next to him.

"It's a free world." He brushed off.

"Not our world." Cleo laughed as she planted herself on the cold metal, dangling her legs of the edge. Zeus nodded with a small smile.

"I'm sorry for what I said." Cleo said with pure sentiment. She was easily the most stubborn girl in the world but she never could hold a grudge against her brother. Even if her behaviour was valid their relationship was more valuable than her pride.

"I'm equally to blame, I shouldn't have pushed you when you were in a bad place." Zeus apologised finally turning to his glim looking sister. It was the first time Cleo had seen him in days, just as she imagined it was like looking in a mirror, they were both miserable.

"So we were both insensitive douche bags. How Valencia of us." Cleo laughed finally feeling some relief on her heavy heart.

"At least we did it together." He chuckled nudging her side. Cleo grinned looking out to the view she'd seen so many times over the years. "Did you mean what you said about leaving?" Zeus asked, he'd wanted to know the second it came out of Cleo's mouth. The mere thought of his sister walking away from everything they'd ever built and overcome hurt more than hell, but if it was in her best interest he would learn to accept it.

"I think I'm a little too deep in Arcane to leave." Cleo replied.

"But if you had the chance to go back to when your Mum left would you leave?" He asked not entirely sure if he wanted to know the answer, she dodged his last question just like always.

"Would you?" She countered.

He narrowed his eyes. "I asked first." Cleo had missed his quick tongue.

Cleo shrugged, having never thought of it before she didn't have a prepared answer. "If I could see what trouble I've landed us in I might have. But I would have missed so many amazing years. You guys may be pretty screwed up but I've never felt so alive when we're together. Asterin is fine but petty girl gossip and galas are not my style." Zeus was satisfied with her continued love towards their home. He feared she might have grown to prefer the safe and shielded life she'd been given. "Now what about you?"

"I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about my Mum. What's she's doing or where she is, but when I stop and look around I realise I've done pretty well without her. Any hurt turns to anger. One part of me is missing without her but I would have a hell of a lot more missing without you. I'm a Valencia, that will always be enough." Tears nearly rolled down Cleo's cheeks for the second time tonight at just how beautiful Zeus' words were. They really couldn't be separated. "I missed you little sis." He said opening his long arms for her. Cleo leaned into his warm brotherly embrace with a wide smile, sometimes all you need is your family. "At least your birthday won't be awkward." He laughed still holding her.

"Oh crap I completely forgot." Cleo said in shock.

Zeus looked at her puzzled face with amusement. "You must be the only person in the world who could forget their own birthday."

She cocked her head in a sarcastic manner. "I've had a lot on my mind."

"Your poor little brain." Zeus joked poking her head, Cleo raised her hand to slap him away. "It's going to be the classic old school Valencia Friday nights." Zeus said making Cleo smile bigger than she has in months.

A classic Valencia Friday night consists of the whole group sitting down with a banquet fit for a king. Talking and joking for hours as if they were a normal family. Although the topics of conversation were far from normal, their dysfunctional group were at their happiest. Hade had always taken pride in the way he had raised his kids and his bonus kids as he called Lola and Jax even though he tells Jax he's a pain in his ass majority of the time. Cleo's birthday plan was exactly what she needed.

"You can bring your boyfriend and Kai, if I have that the right way around." Zeus smirked. Cleo rolled her eyes and punched his arm. It felt good to have their playful and annoying banter back. It was if nothing ever happened.

Cleo was tempted to stay in Arcane, but instead Zeus took her home, well, to her hideout. Kai's car wasn't to be seen in the front driveway, with suspicion she unlocked her front door in hopes of finding her roommate. However, no lights were on and the sofa was empty, with no sign of Kai.

"He'll turn up eventually." She shrugged and walked to the kitchen hoping that he went shopping and didn't ditch his one simple responsibility. When Cleo opened the fridge to see not only a full fridge but a wrapped up plate of food. She took it out with a smile. Kai had cooked, and saved her some. Then she realised if she hadn't gone with Charlie they would have had dinner together, a little wave of disappointment washed over her but when she thought of her date it all went away.

A deafening alarm screamed from her phone on the counter which until now she hadn't known she left behind. "No rest for the wicked." She sighed and headed for her bedroom. With zero sleep it was time to get ready for school. So much for a quiet night home.

~~~

"Good morning." Charlie grinned sliding next to Cleo. She was mid yawn when he started his chirpy greeting. "What time did you get in?" He chuckled, Charlie kindly dropped Cleo to the train track to meet Zeus and with countless offers to wait for her, she declined every time.

"I was home for ten minutes before my alarm went off." She admitted resting her head on the lockers.

"I thought that might happen." Charlie said proudly. Cleo narrowed her eyes in confusion. He revealed a large cold can of red bull from behind his back. Cleo's mood changed entirely, her smile and eyes were wide as she reached for the energy kick.

"You're my favourite person right now." She said as she took a heavenly sip. Charlie laughed at her excitement over something so simple, everything about last night was perfect to him, she was perfect!

"How was Zeus?"

Cleo nodded and swallowed her gulp. "He's good, we're good. My family is having a small get together for my birthday on Friday if you wanted to come. You don't have to though."

"Your birthday?" Charlie asked in shock, she hadn't mentioned it was coming up.

"Yeah, I forgot until Zeus mentioned it."

Charlie laughed at her causal manner. "You forgot your own birthday, you really are one of a kind." She flashed him a cheesy grin which he found adorable.

"Did you hear that?" Cleo questioned. Charlie shook his head. "It sounded like a car."

"Well people do drive around here." He sarcastically replied.

Cleo didn't bit back but instead she tried to block out the hallway noise. "It doesn't sound like that kind of car."

"You have the security cameras. Check your phone." Charlie pointed out. Cleo took his logical idea and pulled her phone out. She swiped through the different angles until she hit the one that made her blood boil.

"Shit!"