Up in flames

Chapter seventy one

"Alright team, they should be passing through any minute. Everyone ready?" Jax asked through the walkie talkie. Déjà vu struck Cleo, along with the original three drivers. Cleo was parked in the same space she had been only days ago, Lola was the next street up feeling the same spur of nerves. Jax was to lead the crew, Kai took Zeus's position and the other filled the remaining streets.

"Good to go." Cleo reported back. The longer she sat the more confident she felt. It was an odd feeling, she thought she would have been riddled with nerves, but having her chain and jacket back, an old version of Cleo came alive again.

"Here we go. One is off." Jax announced when a blacked out truck drove down the quiet main street, he pulled out and stayed directly behind it, tailing it close enough so they wouldn't notice. The truck and Jax past Cleo, making it her turn.

"Two coming." Cleo reported. She turned to the street and sped up to come behind Jax. She stayed as close as possible, the longer the line the more they'll be exposed.

"Three." Kai said. Cleo saw a flash of red come from her left, Kai drifted smoothly behind her.

"Four coming." Lola's voice called. The three street cars past her, making her the last of the crew on the straight road to pull out. Her car would be the most visible out of the four.

"Let the fun begin." Jax shouted. Everyone could picture the smirk through the radio. He aggressively turned his steering wheel, pulling him to the right. Slamming his foot on the accelerator and shifting through the gears, edging ahead of the first truck.

"Split." Cleo called the radio, Cleo and Kai followed Jax's aggressive steering and split to each side of the truck. Cleo took the right just like before.

"I've got the back." Lola shouted. She crept up to the back, hoping they wouldn't have anyone in the back of the truck to fight against.

Three stop lights past and the truck driver was doing his best to push forward but Jax kept his position perfectly. He wasn't only good at racing, he was a dangerously good driver.

"'Aight, quarter mile, Malakai." Cleo said.

"You call it Valencia." He replied. Cleo counted them down and they both drifted to the opposite exits. Lola kept strong in the back position, leaving her and Jax with the most pressure while the other two raced up the back roads.

"Now we're flying!" Cleo cheered catching flashes of both Kai's car and the back of Lola's as she sped through the dark side of Arcane. Her parents were ready and waiting for their signal. "Kai, it's a sharp corner, drift like your life depends on it." Cleo instructed remembering it's the same spot Zeus was hit. She had to block out the painful memory the route held in order to get through it.

"I've got it." Kai quickly shouted, gripping his steering wheel harder than ever before, he could feel his tyres burning already.

"Dad, you ready?" Cleo asked, knowing his car is stationed a few stops up.

"Absolutely." He replied. Hade's voice was chilling, even through the radio he was intimidating.

"Madeline, you've got five seconds." Kai said, shifting to his highest gear.

"Copy." She replied. Her tone was evidence she was ready for action. The royal revved her engine and waiting for Kai's flash of red to past. Cleo and Kai past Cleo's parents at the same time. The four cars drifted around the tight corner, leaving marks on the tarmac they became one wall, splitting once again to make two on each side.